General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I was looking for a helmet that would be smaller then my Miller Digital Elite since I'm finding myself in tighter spots and confined spaces.

The Miller has been the best helmet I have ever owned but the footprint is a little large at times. I went for the Gen Y Tagged Series Z-Man, comes with a bag just like my Miller, controls on the side is a little different but work well. I stayed with the 2 arc sensor model since I wanted the smaller foot print shell, the do offer a 4 sensor model and a larger viewing area.

I was very impressed, the lens is very clear, fast acting and I am kinda digging the 180° viewing area and the weight is nice. It worked great even at a 10amp arc on some thin stainless, and was just as nice at 200amps on some thick aluminum. So far so good, worth the money, I'd recommend to someone looking at a helmet.
Attachments
IMG_20141210_145441350_HDR.jpg
IMG_20141210_145441350_HDR.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Plus it looks really cool! Nice review, thanks for sharing.
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

rick h
if you lean in and bump the controls
will it change the setting?
(you have halloween covered)
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Rick_H

motox wrote:rick h
if you lean in and bump the controls
will it change the setting?
(you have halloween covered)
craig
I'll try tonight and let you know...

Yeah, for some reason I am drawn to those skulls..lol
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

motox wrote:(you have halloween covered)
LOL :lol:
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Rick_H,

Thanks for that! I've been waiting for a realistic review from someone who's used more than one hood.

You didn't mention it, so I'll tell everyone that Save Phace offers both standard and custom artwork. You can have a one-of-a-kind by an airbrush artist.

Steve S
Rick_H

Yeah I was going to go full custom but decided to go with this Semi custom Tagged model from them. It did appear to change on the fly and other then just being use to the larger viewing area on Miller I really can't find anything bad to say. I really like it so far. I do like how I can move the head gear in and out getting it even closer to my face.

I've got a huge project when were down for the holiday at the end on the month, it will be a good test...Right now I'm putting in around 190' of sanitary 1.50" 316L.

I've had a few different helmet over the years of my welding career has progressed, I have an older AD Arc One that I really liked, I've had a Jackson and Speed glass and for the last 3 years I've been using the Miller Digital Elite.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Rick,
I too like the ability to move the helmet in and out but mine is for a different reason, I wear bifocals (note: old fart) and a cheater lens, being able to move it in and out lets me adjust for focus. I have the Miller headgear in my beater helmet that has this adjustability also, I love it. A trip to the eye doctors is on my list for next week and new glasses might help.

I've started using mine at home more since my younger son is starting to more actively learn to weld and has projects that he needs help with. I used it up under his truck flabed to make some welds in an area that the small foot print really helped. I actually welded for the first time using the sides beyond the ADF on that weld, handy. I have an old homemade flip front (very small) that would have been my go to in that case before I got the Save Phace. Nice helmet for not a crazy amount of money.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Rick_H

Yeah almost all my aging welding co-workers have cheaters..lol they all tell me don't worry one day I'll have them to.

Well I wore the helmet for a good 6hrs tonight, its amazing what that shape does for tight spots, I too like the 180° lens. Retail on a normal autodark GenY is around $170....I think that is a reasonable price agaisnt my $360 Miller.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
motox

len
have you found that you need more background light when welding with the failing
eye sight or is it just me?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

It's not just you. My latest pair of glasses have progressive bifocals and they are very hard to find the sweet spot. I'm going to need longer arms or a telescope pretty soon.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

I just had my eye doc make me a pair of glasses for 1.5 to 3 foot range. Not quite like readers. They work great for me so far for welding.
-Eldon

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
motox

eldon
did you ask him for that kind of perception or did he recommend it?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

motox wrote:eldon
did you ask him for that kind of perception or did he recommend it?
craig
I asked for it specifically after determining that to be the distances my head usually is from my welds.

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
motox

Eldon
thanks ill do the same
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Braehill wrote:It's not just you. My latest pair of glasses have progressive bifocals and they are very hard to find the sweet spot. I'm going to need longer arms or a telescope pretty soon.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me three.....I look funny bobbing my head all around trying to find the point where the sweet spot is. The part that I really hate is trying to work at heights(not crazy about being off the ground) and these glasses make me feel really weird and unsure of myself and give me a queasy feeling in my stomach.... add that to the fact that I'm very uneasy up high to start with.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
motox

tried bifocals but when i where them in the shop i find i can't focus
and trip over everything.
do they make a white tipped cane tig torch?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Rick_H

Thought I'd update a little since I've been using it more and flipped to my miller to see what I noticed if anything.

I decided I really like the feel of my miller headgear better, just feels more sturdy ecpecially since I'm on and off with it a good bit. I felt my Miller was a little heavier over the course of the day however. I also forgot how large that viewing area was...lol

I bought the Save Phace for increased room, lower closer profile and I really dig the 180° view. All in all I am super happy and would recommend it to anyone. They also offer the large viewing area model as well but the shell is larger, defeated the purpose of buying for me.

So...of your looking for a great Auto Dark Helmet Save Phace gets my vote, both viewing area sizes are under $200.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB