General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
grafted
    Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:27 pm

I am going to help my neighbor repair his wood heater and the damper shaft needs to be replaced . the shaft is made of .5 inch round stock.My question is ,what type of steel ? Elevated temperatures for an extended period should be a primary concern. because of the extreme heat and slow cooling I don't believe temper would be of any benefit. Any one have any experience in this area ?

Thanks
Tom
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Any form of steel would corrode quickly, so the type of steel is kind of irrelevant, only that it is easily replaceable for the next time it fails.
grafted

Thanks mike, I was thinking that way, but it always pays to get more experience in on the decision.

Tom
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

You could try a type of stainless but it could distort and mess up the movement of the shaft.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

grafted,
I would think if I was going to make this repair I would use a piece of 321 stainless, it likes the heat about as much as any affordable rod out there. There are some Nickel based metals out there but they would be cost prohibitive for your application. Plain old carbon steel will last a long time if it's not heat cycled often and it's probably what was in there from the start, cold rolled is better than hot rolled.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
grafted

Thank you all for the input .

Tom