General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
drummerwelder856
    Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:55 pm

so i was taking a test on monday for a company, a 6g 6in sch80 6010 7180 stick test... so while i was taking my test, i was finish my stringers fills.. so the inspector walks over and says U CAN EITHER RUN STRINGERS ON UR CAP OR U CAN (WEAVE) IT... WAIT A MIN BRAH.. i wasn't taught to do a weave on a 6g test period, he says u can do weaves i always weave on 6g... i say nah I'm ok ill do the stringers he says ok.. so I'm almost finish my cap, 2 guys walk in from outside and comes to look at my welds, and they say WHY DIDNT U WEAVE THAT MAN.. once again in my head is it something wrong with me or are they just dum, I'm not saying that it can't be done, but who wud fuckin put a weave on a 6g cap tho... and they was so serious.. wen i told my mentor/teacher that taught me he started laughing his ass off at them.... my teacher said, THATS YOUR TYPICAL WELDERS OUT THERE IN THE FIELD!!!

just had to get that off my mind lol....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Well, I'm sure glad you feel better!

Stringer vs. Weave is a CWI's opinion only, and the WPS will tell you what's allowed.

There is NO evidence to substantiate one being stronger than the other. I've passed x-ray and hydro with both methods. Passed booth tests with both methods.

If you're dead-solid convinced there's a difference in the finished product, you've been drinking someone's kool-aid.

I bet you have an opinion on 6010 roots, "bury-rod" vs. whip and pause. Or even an opinion on TIG "walk the cup" vs. keyhole and dab.

There are many ways to skin this cat. Please don't think your way is the only way just because someone told you so.

Steve S
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Hi drummerwelder! When I first get my students into my class here at community college, I teach them "hard and fast rules". Then later on, I tell them that it is very likely that where ever they end up working, they will do it differently, so the "hard and fast rules" might get tossed out the window. I also teach: "Do it the way the boss tells you!"

For example ... from day one, I teach the students to manipulate EVERY stringer and weld. You know, Z-Weave, etc. This is one reason I go through all of the joints in each process and test them on each one. When we get to groove welds, I require them to do stringers AND weaves - because you never know what the WPS or the Boss will want! My idea is that if they are taught to manipulate, non-manipulation will be easy. If they are familiar with varied manipulation in all positions, getting a job where a 'new' style of manipulation will be easy. It is MUCH easier for someone who can manipulate the electrode (in ALL processes!!!) to learn new techniques or to adapt to zero manipulation.

When they finally get out into the 'real world' I tell the students that the Boss may say things like: "Is THAT how you do that in school??!!!?? Well, that is SO WRONG! WE DON'T DO THAT HERE! This ain't SCHOOL, this is the REAL WORLD!" Blah, blah, blah. I am trying to teach them to be ADAPTABLE and FLEXIBLE!

Personally, I have been in too many situations where the Boss wants XYZ, and I KNOW I can do it better with MY METHOD of "OPQ" ... LOL ... But I learned to shut up and say, "yes Boss, what ever you want!" As long as it doesn't compromise safety or structure, I am OK with it!

School gives you enough information to get into the work place and embarrass yourself if you run around saying things like: "In my experience ... !" LOL!

I also teach that if some one goes on and joins a trade union, they will teach them to weld THEIR way. Then you do it THEIR WAY! End of story! I think it is important to be adaptable, flexible, willing to change, grow and learn. I didn't start out wanting to be in education. In 2008 I had some accidents and knew it would be a few years before I could go back into the field, so I applied at some community colleges to be a welding instructor, and got hired. (I was not completely without experience teaching! I had done some work at the Apprenticeship Training!) What I didn't realize was how much I love this job! Also, I am inside, out of the cold, and I don't have to go to the bathroom in a little blue plastic house! BUT! If it were not for the fact that, over the 30+ year span of my welding career, I sought out training and employment opportunities to expand my knowledge and skills set, I could not hold this job.

This post is too long! Sorry! Remember this! I also teach the students that the difference between a final year apprentice and a ten-year journeyman is this: If I ask the apprentice if they know the craft, the answer I get back will usually be a confident "OH YEAH! I got this down!" If I ask the ten-year journeyman the same question, they will usually kind of sigh, pause, shake their head and say, "well, no. There is a lot I don't know." The cat with experience knows what he don't know; the noob doesn't.

Good luck!
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Drummer,
I have taken tests with stringers and weaves as well. Our certs I used stringers. I interviewed with the local UA and they strictly said to do weaves. Either way does in fact work. It is amazing the conversation you can have when one discusses stringers verses weaves. Some will say it is against code to weave. Some say it is absolutely wrong to use stringers. There are differences using each method but I agree with Steve, both will or can pass tests.
-Jonathan
MSLiechty
    Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:22 am

Boomer63. Do you teach at OCC?

ML

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

What did the wps say? If its qualified, it's been proven sufficient.

As others have stated, I've also used both. Just bc you didn't learn it that way doesn't mean it's wrong.

Sorry man but with that type of attitude your probably going to have a hard time landing a job. People with real world experience, that do the work day in and day out, tend to not like the just out of school guy that "knows everything" and isn't trainable.

A little humbleness and respect goes a long way.
drummerwelder856

well 1st i didn't say i knew it all it wasjust the way i was taught not to do it on a 6g test.. if i feel saver doing it my way on a test and they tell me i can do stringers or weave.. I'm gonna take a stringer over the weave.. but i never once said i knew it all, y'all have to know I'm just getting out of school, and i past the test for the UA and i past the test for this Non union job, with no problems and they was X-rays.. but all I'm saying is it was weird hearing that from the guys wen i never saw it done, so i was really talking in my head i didn't tell them that, i just told them i feel safer doing it with stringers...

thanks to everyone for y'all in put!!!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Fair enough,

But you'd have caught NO grief if you'd asked, "Have you ever heard of this?" as opposed to announcing how funny you thought this was.

Read the WPS carefully, and (assuming it uses a standard suggested format) there will be a line specific to progression, that specifies "stringer", "weave", or "either". If you've not seen this, I have a PQR/WPS at work with this detail in it I'll share.

This is not a new trade, and there are many ways to skin this cat. Our grandmothers did it during WWII It's easy to assume the way you were taught is the only way, or perhaps the best way. It's better not to assume at all. Someone will show you another way.

Steve S
drummerwelder856

Otto Nobedder wrote:Fair enough,

But you'd have caught NO grief if you'd asked, "Have you ever heard of this?" as opposed to announcing how funny you thought this was.

Read the WPS carefully, and (assuming it uses a standard suggested format) there will be a line specific to progression, that specifies "stringer", "weave", or "either". If you've not seen this, I have a PQR/WPS at work with this detail in it I'll share.

This is not a new trade, and there are many ways to skin this cat. Our grandmothers did it during WWII It's easy to assume the way you were taught is the only way, or perhaps the best way. It's better not to assume at all. Someone will show you another way.

Steve S
Steve thanks for the insight, and yea i cud have said (Have you ever heard of that) very true... but i haven't read the WPS.. so maybe thats why. and also i have look all over youtube looking for somebody doing a 6g stick cap weave and i have not seen one person do a weave on a 6g position cap, all i have seen was welders doing stringers on the cap on a 6g test... but I'm gonna see for my self if a weave cap can be don't on a 6g pipe test...
Boomer63

MSLiechty wrote:Boomer63. Do you teach at OCC?

No .. I am at a college in North Central Indiana. What is OCC??

ML

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Boomer63 wrote:Hi drummerwelder! When I first get my students into my class here at community college, I teach them "hard and fast rules". Then later on, I tell them that it is very likely that where ever they end up working, they will do it differently, so the "hard and fast rules" might get tossed out the window. I also teach: "Do it the way the boss tells you!"

For example ... from day one, I teach the students to manipulate EVERY stringer and weld. You know, Z-Weave, etc. This is one reason I go through all of the joints in each process and test them on each one. When we get to groove welds, I require them to do stringers AND weaves - because you never know what the WPS or the Boss will want! My idea is that if they are taught to manipulate, non-manipulation will be easy. If they are familiar with varied manipulation in all positions, getting a job where a 'new' style of manipulation will be easy. It is MUCH easier for someone who can manipulate the electrode (in ALL processes!!!) to learn new techniques or to adapt to zero manipulation.

When they finally get out into the 'real world' I tell the students that the Boss may say things like: "Is THAT how you do that in school??!!!?? Well, that is SO WRONG! WE DON'T DO THAT HERE! This ain't SCHOOL, this is the REAL WORLD!" Blah, blah, blah. I am trying to teach them to be ADAPTABLE and FLEXIBLE!

Personally, I have been in too many situations where the Boss wants XYZ, and I KNOW I can do it better with MY METHOD of "OPQ" ... LOL ... But I learned to shut up and say, "yes Boss, what ever you want!" As long as it doesn't compromise safety or structure, I am OK with it!

School gives you enough information to get into the work place and embarrass yourself if you run around saying things like: "In my experience ... !" LOL!

I also teach that if some one goes on and joins a trade union, they will teach them to weld THEIR way. Then you do it THEIR WAY! End of story! I think it is important to be adaptable, flexible, willing to change, grow and learn. I didn't start out wanting to be in education. In 2008 I had some accidents and knew it would be a few years before I could go back into the field, so I applied at some community colleges to be a welding instructor, and got hired. (I was not completely without experience teaching! I had done some work at the Apprenticeship Training!) What I didn't realize was how much I love this job! Also, I am inside, out of the cold, and I don't have to go to the bathroom in a little blue plastic house! BUT! If it were not for the fact that, over the 30+ year span of my welding career, I sought out training and employment opportunities to expand my knowledge and skills set, I could not hold this job.

This post is too long! Sorry! Remember this! I also teach the students that the difference between a final year apprentice and a ten-year journeyman is this: If I ask the apprentice if they know the craft, the answer I get back will usually be a confident "OH YEAH! I got this down!" If I ask the ten-year journeyman the same question, they will usually kind of sigh, pause, shake their head and say, "well, no. There is a lot I don't know." The cat with experience knows what he don't know; the noob doesn't.

Good luck!
Spot on! Also, must say I'm glad to hear of a teacher doing it RIGHT. :mrgreen:
Boomer63

Hi Weldakota!

Thank you for the comment! Without being able to interact with my peers in field work, it is great to receive affirmation from qualified craftsmen like yourself.

Ok ... that was 'school talk'

Meanwhile back in the field, the welders are having a conversation:
"How do you like my weld?"
"It's great, just not as good as mine."
"Kiss my rear end!"
"Let's go get a beer!!"
"OK!!"