General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Daantman
    Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Picked up a side job with a engineer friend of mine producing aluminum box truss. Of course the customer wants it as soon as possible and I told them you cant rush this stuff. Im 90 percent complete with job and been mig welding the truss which is comprised of 1.5" schedule 40 and 1" internals using a power mig 350mp. Ive encountered some poor weld quality about 3/4 the way through welding each truss section. My aluminum is clean and free of debris and didn't know if I'm overheating or should of tig welded it to start with. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Welcome to the forum. What's your background?
Daantman
    Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Fencing industry welding aluminum handrails for 10 years.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Daantman,
Welcome to the forum. I am experienced with the 350MP running both steel and alum and might be able to help. We first mess a little more info. What exactly do you mean by "poor weld quality?" That leaves te door wide open. Also, are you running pulse, pulse on pulse and what are your settings/wire? A picture would help as well.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

"Three-quarters of the way through," every time, may suggest you are hitting a duty-cycle issue, with either the torch, or the machine.

The other alternative I see, is you've built so much heat into the metal ahead of you, that you need to back off the power input about 1/2 - 5/8 the way through that weld.

These are guesses, since the information was a bit limited.

Welcome to our neighborhood!

Steve S