General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
LHYAMS3
    Tue May 19, 2015 9:45 am

I am applying for a marketing position with a leading Gas and Supply company. Good marketing managers should listen first to the people using the product. So I'm doing my research and getting ready for another round of interviews. I'd like to ask for your opinions on companies like Gas and Supply, Air Liquide, and AirGas.

What do you look for?
Who do you think is setting the standard?
What really wins you over?
Who needs to improve?

Many thanks in advance.

Louis Hyams (LHYAMS3)

Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
LHYAMS3
    Tue May 19, 2015 9:45 am

Mike wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Thanks Mike, I think I came to the right place to learn. You have any experience with the suppliers I mentioned?
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Welcome Louis! Airgas sucks! 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

In my area, the Airgas shop is one of the cheapest for gas fills possibly due to having their own gas plant across the freeway, but their selection of consumables is expensive and sparse selection.

They are often busy, but will look up pricing if you know what you are hunting for (and that includes most items on the shelves, since next to none of the prices are posted.)

I have no experience with Air Liquide and have never heard of Gas and Supply before, so I suspect that they are not in the local market.

The only other chain that I know of around my area is Central Welding Supply, and the one nearest my work is primarily a medical gas supply house with an attached welding supply shop. They have a decent supply, but aren't all that knowledgeable. Very helpful though when a question is posed, but have to search for an answer in the books.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.

Unlike others on the forum who've been disappointed with the service from Airgas, my experience has been just the opposite. When I lived in CA, the local Airgas store gave me good service, and here in TX the local Airgas store is the best I've ever seen. They're welding equipment, tools, supplies and consumables only. If you want steel or weld-on hinges etc, go to the indie LWS across town.

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch