General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
PBnKjelly
    Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Hey everyone,
This is my first post on WT&T. Im currently in the process of starting my own welding company nothing huge. Just a guy, a truck, and a welder. Im looking to get either a Lincoln Ranger 250 or Miller Bobcat 250. Ive heard they're basically the same welder once you strip off the paneling and will be able to handle the jobs I throw at it. My real question is though Does anyone know if I will need any special licensing or permits to drive around with a welder in the bed of my truck? Im also planning on carrying a oxy-acetylene torch in the bed as well and if I will need and special requirements for that. I tried searching the web for an answer on the subject but haven't come up with anything that would help. Im located in Long Island, NY. So I guess this would probably be more aimed to anyone that lives in the area but any help on the subject or if anyone knows of some websites that has information about it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Welcome to the WT&T forum. You don't need anything here in Ohio. But I have no clue about New York. I would call the BMV. You may need a DOT number. I would carry enough insurance on your truck to cover your tools too. A business license and liability insurance would round out pretty solid coverage for yourself if this will be a full time gig. That's more or less how I roll here in the buckeye.
Be the monkey....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

New York is seriously entrenched "union" territory, and if you're not a member of a trade union, proudly displaying such on your truck, expect vandalism from childish people. They do not like independent operators.

Sorry, just a reality check.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

PBnKjelly,
Welcome to the forum! The best of luck on your new venture. One thing I will add is I believe it is a DOT law, meaning across the country, that you cannot have your regulators hooked up while the vehicle is in motion. You must take them off and put the caps on. They do sell a cap that allows the regs to be installed under them you can look into. I am purposely not quoting any revised code as I feel you need to look into them for yourself and interpret them as you see fit. As for the welder, I have never heard of any special permitting just to carry one around but you never know. I would just make sure it is properly secured.
-Jonathan
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I'll second the "welcome" and "best of luck in your venture"!

I did a quick web search on the NYDOT site about transporting welding gases, and got nowhere. Your best bet may be to ask DOT- not for the answer to your question, but how to look up the answer.

You may be aware of this already but I'll say it anyway: in addition to childish behavior from union types, be aware of your physical security. Nothing pains me more than hearing about a guy that gets robbed of all his tools, and can't provide for his family.

Have you run your own business before? Are you thinking to work at it part time while you transition away from a permanent job?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Welcome to the forum! I have been where you are, twice! Everyone has posted great information about transporting your oxy/fuel rig, as well as watching out for union guys who don't like independent operators. I would take that a step further, and suggest that if you know of a bar or coffee shop where the trade union welder types (pipefitters, ironworkers, etc.) hang out, avoid the place, especially if you are driving your truck. I know from experience! Keep your tools locked up. I had my welders attached to the truck with several locks as well as being bolted down. Take every precaution you can, because the thieves will hurt you if they can.

Good luck!
    Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:41 pm

Wow.. Sad to hear people behave like that.. This is not a problem in Norway.. Well we got some thieves around sometimes, but never for the purpose mentioned here..
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Kentweld wrote:Wow.. Sad to hear people behave like that.. This is not a problem in Norway.. Well we got some thieves around sometimes, but never for the purpose mentioned here..
I am glad to hear that you folks in Norway don't have this issue! It is also true that this is a much, much larger problem in the big cities than in smaller towns or rural areas. I have been on many jobs in major metropolitan areas, working through the union, and the theft that takes place on the job is appalling! Tradesmen stealing from each other! But I haven't seen that behavior in smaller towns.

There is a distance attitude difference between 'big city' folks and 'small town' folks. I grew up in Chicago, down near 31st and Shields. Ohhh! The "Back Yards"! Big deal! Getting out of Chicago, I hate running into loud mouthed, full of attitude jerks who are throwing around the fact that they are from 'the city'. Most of them are gosh darn suburbanites, anyway. (No, I am not a gangster).
Gary