General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Back when I was starting out we welded tank bottoms with mud rod a lot. We used some 3/16 and 1/4" rod that was 36" long. You grabbed it in the middle and when one side was done just flipped it 180 degrees and kept on keeping on. You could lay a pass on that was so slick a spider had to skate across it.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Nope.

That's outside my experience.

Sounds like a hoot!

Steve S
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Back in the late 70's I took a part time job re-decking barges. They had these 3/8" 36" 7024 "Jet rods".
You grabbed them from one end though. You learned to bend the tip in the vice so you could light them up, set down the stinger and let them burn off themselves! :mrgreen:

Once you got everything dialed in it almost looked like sub-arc after power brushing.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

rake wrote:Back in the late 70's I took a part time job re-decking barges. They had these 3/8" 36" 7024 "Jet rods".
You grabbed them from one end though. You learned to bend the tip in the vice so you could light them up, set down the stinger and let them burn off themselves! :mrgreen:
And then they invented the wire feed and screwed it up for everyone :lol:
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I taped the stinger (grey tape) to a broom handle, put the 7018 in sticking straight out the end, shoved in in the tank and got 'er done! Worked out great! It worked so good that I 'borrowed' and old pool stick from a local bar and kept it around in case I needed to do that again.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I used to have a 5/16" and a 3/8" 7024 rod that they used at the local plant that built railcars. I never burned one but a good friend who worked there said that he welded with them for over a year and never put a helmet on. He said he'd just stick them in there and when his hand got hot he'd push the button and the car would move to the next guy on the line. They used old GE 600 amp welders to run them.

He was a good friend but not much of a welder. I did most of his welding for him when it needed a helmet.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len