General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I just ordered a Makita cordless grinder online.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6VVwYwfhXk
Attachments
Makita grinder.jpg
Makita grinder.jpg (53.39 KiB) Viewed 1106 times
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

I've just updated my battery drill with a Makita drill driver, driver and 440nm rattle gun, got 2, 5 amp hr batteries. Damn good tools.
Makes the old nickle metal hydride batteries look like a joke.
Let me know what you think of the grinder.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

We have one at work, works very nice, smooth and battery life seems to be pretty good. It's a little bulkier then the battery Metabo we have...
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

The Makita Cordless brushless 5" grinder arrived this morning at 7am.
In Canada, the best price I found was at http://bcfasteners.com/
Free Shipping was a bonus and it got here pretty quick.

I installed a 4" cup style wire brush and did some work on my truck.
My first impressions are pretty good. It has lots of power and did not bog down.
This is a very useful tool for small, short jobs. I didn't expect too much for battery power.
With the 3Ah battery, I was able to get at least ten heavy duty minutes of rust removal.
Makita now offers 4Ah and 5Ah batteries. I might pick up one and test it out.

As far as the tool goes, it's definitely great for small, short, portable jobs
where power cables are not available and you don't feel like lugging a generator around.

I noticed that they use this tool on the "Storage Wars" television show
for cutting the locks from the storage lockers that are up for auction.
This is the ideal tool for this sort of task.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I have just bought 2 of these to replace the older version I have. The definitely have a lot more torque. They will run a grinding wheel pretty well. The older version is more suited to cutoff disks. Got my new ones with 4AH batteries. Note that the 4AH and 5AH will NOT work on older Makita tools. Only work on tools with yellow bases unless you grind of the plastic lip on the battery to match the older style batteries. Then they work fine on all Makita tools. I did this as I have about a dozen different Makita tools.

I also have the older 4 1/2" grinder with battery and charger and a hammer drill for sale if anyone is interested I'm open to offers. See pic
uploadfromtaptalk1440681953450.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1440681953450.jpg (45.28 KiB) Viewed 1015 times

I've just started collecting Makita cordless tools and I like them.
They seem to have just enough power to do the small jobs.
I've also invested in a Triton track saw for accurate cuts.
Attachments
Makita Tools.JPG
Makita Tools.JPG (48.25 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

They had major issue/defect with the old version batteries without the star on them. Of course they never admitted to it. I junked probably ½ dozen batteries over the years. So it's a love/hate thing for me. But I'm stuck because I already owned so many of their tools.
However I've read of Milwaukee and DeWalt having battery issues too.
Not sure they would have been any better
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I would imagine all of the batteries are made by the same company with each manufacturer getting their own battery cover and charging plug style
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

You can rebuild your Makita batteries on the cheap by getting the appropriate cells from https://www.batterydepot.com/
and doing a little soldering. TIP: Buy "tagged" cells. These have connections for solder already attached so you don't risk damaging the cells by soldering directly on them.

Steve S