General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Fri May 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Is there a way to make the safety lenses last a bit longer?

Is there a product, plastic polish perhaps that can be used to maintain these lenses?

Even though the lenses are not that expensive, I like to save money when and where I can.

Thank you.
"Go as far as you can see and once you are there, go farther."
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

What shade lense are you using? If it's getting smoked and spatter burns it's because of how close your getting your head to see. You may want to add a cheater lense to your hood nothing too much but try one. You likely will find not only can you see the weld better but you won't have to get your head so close to do it. There by making your covers last longer. Head position and good ventilation can play a big factor when stick welding. Other processes don't usually have as many airborne particulates so your cover should also last longer as you do other kinds of welding.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri May 22, 2015 9:04 pm

I mean the outer plastic protective lens that protects the actual auto-darkening lens or shaded lens.

You're probably right though. I do like to get close to see what I'm doing and already have a 2.0 cheater lens in both helmets so I probably just need to move a few inches back while I'm welding. Especially with stick.

I'm still looking for my comfort zone though.

Thank for the reply. :D

"Go as far as you can see and once you are there, go farther."
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I've heard (but not tried) Pledge furniture polish to extend the life of plastic lenses... Supposedly it slows the darkening from smoke, but it won't protect from spatter, obviously.

I also NEVER wipe mine... I blow the dust and grit off with compressed air. This prevents premature scratching.

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Any baking soda toothpaste ( I use Arm & Hammer brand ) works fine - think most people use this - just polish by hand with a soft cloth - if you do any polishing in the shop then your softest mop with your finest grade compound works fine - just reduce RPM if you can & use very light pressure to prevent too much heat - red rouge works at a push though there are plastic specific polishes - often sold for the automotive trade for restoring color on lamps / lenses.

In a couple of Jody's videos, he recommends Novus #2 plastic polish.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch