General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
GoRilla
    Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:26 am

I've always used a torpedo level but I'm sure something more accurate is available. What do you guys use to be as accurate as you can?

Determining what is the "proper tool for the job" depends entirely on what the job is. Many times a torpedo level is the right tool, sometimes you might need a transit or a laser level or maybe just a longer bubble level. Tell us a bit more about what you're working on and I'll bet somebody here can get you pointed in the right direction.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
AKmud
    Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 am

If you are simply checking for level, use the longest one you can fit on your work piece. Sometimes a torpedo level is as big as you can get. I've got a little 2" level, torpedo levels, a 2', and a 4' long one for the bigger jobs. I've even taken the body of my combo square off and used the level in that if it fits.

Adapt and overcome. :D
GoRilla
    Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:26 am

I'm no fooling with anything I need a laser level in, lol. I was just thinking about something like the smart tool. I guess it would just be an expensive torpedo level.

That Smart Tool is a good looking device. Bit pricier than the digital level that I use at work for aligning our 32" telescope to zenith. When it's time to do polar alignment on the scope, I forget about the digital and use a machinist's level that's accurate to, if I remember right, 0.0005" / 10". Polar alignment is critical when you're aiming at a star that's light years away.

Again, the right tool for the job varies with the job...but I've never regretted any money I spent on top quality tools.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch