General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
jandri0309
    Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:34 am

Hello all.

I just recently got introduced to tig welding as a hobby, and now i am eager to get a set for my self.

I have a limited budged for this new hobby, and have been online looking for low-cost sub 200A Tig welders
(Chinese brand´s) with AC-DC function.

I know there are lot´s of Chinese manufacturers out there, most sell junk- and some sell descent entry level welders. "You get what you pay for" is a term often used.

So i seek for some advice from the experts.. What should i look for? What should i stay far away from? Do you own one?

There are currently 2 Tig welders on my list... all comment´s would be welcome regarding these welders.

Popwel TIG200PACDC:
http://popwel.cn/products/TIG_Welding/2015/1104/37.html

Hutai WSME-200 AC-DC:
http://i.bosscdn.com/product/c7/d9/d2/e ... ize=20&p=9

I would really appreciate if you could help steer me into the right direction, "the most bang for the buck".

regards Johannes.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Where are you located? That will influence what is available.
jandri0309
    Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:34 am

I live in Iceland, so my choices are pretty limited. Everything tends to get pretty expensive when arrived on this little island.

I also forgot to mention that these welders are both in the same price range, around 600$ with shipping- what makes up half of the price (~250$).

The cheapest Ac/DC tig sold here is close too 2.600$- from the French manufacturer GYS.

Regards Jóhannes.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Everlast PowerTIG 185 is a cheaper, well made AC/DC tig machine.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I thought I'd posted a "welcome" earlier, and had a similar thought: Everlast (everlastgenerators.com) ships to many countries, and may be able to provide warranty service that Ali Baba vendors cannot. Welders are tested at the factory, but a serviceability issue may not arise until the machine gets to you. Once they've reached you, inverter machines seem to fail early or never, so if you are responsible for shipping this may become a real concern.

Do you have a local source for consumables (filler rod, tips, argon) or is that all from off-country sources too?
Dave
aka "RTFM"
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Welcome Johannes.
The first one I have heard people speak good about. Its sold under many names.
Second looks like the newer Jasic digital version. No own experience on either though.

I have used Gys but didnt like them. Too rough arc start and poor stability. Went out in a smoke cloud after 3 years. The company that used to bring them here had discontinued them because of poor quality. Some say they are better today.

If you consider to buy from UK then you have Parweld and R-tech being sold and supported there. R-tech is said to be the same as Everlast which most people here speaks good about.

Parweld xti 202 and Thermal Arc 202 are same machines. I use the Parweld xti 202 ac/dc and its a good choice for that money.
(Todays Thermal Arc is not the same as before when japaneese Sanrex produced them).
http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=Xti ... sqp=xti202
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Welcome Johannes.

While I don't own precisely the model shown in the second photo, mine is probably a re-branded variation of it. Very happy. The best advice I can give is that whatever you buy, go for something that comes with proven support. As in, 'make a call, speak directly to a human being and get some answers' support.

I researched exhaustively online and in the end the choice came down to two similarly specified Chinese machines. One was around $800 cheaper but didn't boast any real support. The other machine came with a 5-year warranty and was sold by a dealer with a reputation for great customer service. I went for the more expensive machine.

Glad I did. I have had lots of questions and one minor issue since my purchase, and the dealer is always there to help me, no matter what the issue. That means a lot, especially when you are new to welding.

Kym
Captainbeaky
    Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Hi Johannes,

I had the same query when I bought mine.

Backup is everything with these.

In the uk, we have the same "generic" Chinese ac/doc TIG welders that go for about £400, and I'm not so happy going with a machine that has no local support. i did find a few "branded" chinese welders that do have some backup.

For me it came down to two machines / both were in the £800 region

Jasic are working hard to make a worldwide brand, and seem to have worldwide backup support.

RTech are a smaller company here in the uk, and have machines built in China to their own designs, and carefully inspect for quali. They specify the best mosfets etc, and offer good support.

I was not sure which way to jump. I went for RTech in the end. They seemed very switched on - I'm an electronics engineer, and the guys there really knew their stuff. Also they did a better package deal - with some consumables and a pedal and did a discount because I paid cash and collected. They were more than happy to come out and sort out problems too.

If you can find a company like that - then go for it.

If I hadn't been convinced by either Jasic or RTech, Id probably have gone for the Kemppi 2300, but it's a lot of cash, but a great machine.
cb400chopper
    Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:20 am

I don't know if I'm a bit late on this one however I have had a different branded version of the first one it's about 5 years old now and has done a lot of work and it welds as good as the kemppi and esabs I've used in the past

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
Backsheddave
    Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:46 am

As above I might also be a bit late in posting a reply here. Anyway, for what it might be worth, I have a version of the first pic. Under the Jasic brand, for us in NZ to get anything that's not Chinese and still have the features that the Jasic has I would have to hand over double the amount I paid for the Jasic $1050.00NZ. (I'm just a hobby metalworker) I've mainly used the tig for welding aluminium and I think it dose a fine job, but then I've not used any other brand. I own 3 Jasic machines and haven't had trouble with any of them. What the machine you go with, enjoy the learning and don't let it get you down, Jodys fine videos are a great help and I've played them again an again and still pick up something from them.