General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Opie Knievel
    Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:00 pm

I've wanted to be a welder for a long time but I've just recently decided to seriously apply myself to learning. I bought myself a Hobart Handler 190 MIG and I've been using my dad's old Dayton 230 Amp AC Stick welder. Well, I'll have to say that welding is both more fun and harder to master than I imagined. I can tell that trying to learn welding by teaching myself would take a long time. So, I decided to enroll at the local community college. Classes start in August. They also cost thousands of dollars. (It's a 2 year program that covers Oxy/Fuel, SMAW, GMAW and GTAW)

http://www.somerset.kctcs.edu/en/Academ ... erset.aspx

Almost everything I've read online says that school will be a good investment and that unless I could find an apprenticeship program to get into, this is the "best" way to become a welder. I know that it's gonna require a lot of time and effort on my part but I'm not really into wasting money so I'm gonna make the most out of this opportunity. My goal is to earn a living as a welder. I'm tired of making $10.45 an hour to work in the rain, snow, mud, heat, dust and put up with idiot customers at my current job. I think that if I'm gonna do a physical, dirty job that I should at least get paid well for it. Every job ad I've looked at for welders around here make a lot better money and there's the added bonus of being able to build and fix so many things for myself that I can't now because I'm not a good welder.

What I'm looking for on here is some advice from people with experience. I'm thinking of talking to the instructor before I start classes. What questions should I ask and what kind of answers should I be looking for?

Is there a chance that after a semester or 2 I can get good enough at SMAW or GMAW to get a part time job somewhere welding as I finish school or should I plan on keeping my current job (with my hours adjusted for classes) for the duration?

Does anyone have any advice that's been to or is still in classes?

Any general advice on the trade in general for a newbie who's getting ready to start learning?

Any other advice/tips/etc.....

Thanks for reading and extra thanks in advance to anyone who responds with good info.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Keep your options open. Don't burn the bridge at your current employment till you have something else in the bag. Especially if they will work with your hours. Keep looking and you might be able to find a welding job after you start classes. Might even ask the instructor if he knows any employers who might start you out as you learn.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Definitely listen to Poland, don't jump ship until you have another job lined up.

This is so full of variables. Where are you from? How old are you? Will you be supporting a family? What do you consider a good annual amount of pay. 30K, 50K, 100K?

My easiest and best job by far was a police officer, just could not support my family at a level I wanted to.

I know welders that make 14 dollars an hour, 30 dollars an hour, 55 dollars an hour. I know welders that work year round, I know welders that are lucky to work six months. I know welders that are home every night, I know welders that are home every 3 weeks, I know welders that are home twice a year.

Tell us your long term expectations and maybe some of us can recommend some things to do and things not to do.
Last edited by DLewis0289 on Sun May 15, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Opie Knievel

Thanks for the reply!
I had already planned on staying on good terms with my bosses. They have been really good to work for. I like my job but it just doesn't pay enough and it's not the kind of job where I'll ever be able to make the kind of money that welders do. I'm gonna ask my boss about working with me on hours and keep working as much as I can. I'm still trying to decide if I should take day classes and work on Friday, Saturday and Sunday or take night classes and just leave earlier than I do now and try to make up a few lost hours on the weekend. What I'm worried about is quality of instruction and the fact that I'll be tired from working all day and the night classes won't be as valuable as day classes. I'm trying to start a new career. I want the best chance at learning as much as I can and being as good as I can so I can make as much money as I can. There are still people willing to pay for quality. I want to be a good welder. I want to be the guy that everybody knows does great work. I've taken diesel classes at the same school before and it seemed like the night classes were a little more lax than the day classes. (I had class from 8AM till 9PM some days. & worked Fri-Sun, so I know I can handle it.)
I definitely want to talk to the instructor. I might explain my situation and see what he recommends. I'll ask him about finding a welding related job as you advise also.

I think I'm gonna make myself commit to practicing at least an hour every night starting tomorrow. Every body says there's no replacement for seat time.
Opie Knievel

I'm from a small town in KY. I don't mind moving for work and my fiance says she's cool with it too. I'll be helping her support her 4 year old daughter. I'm 32. I'm usually a quick learner, I'm mechanically minded, I work on cars at a salvage yard for a living right now.
I want to make at $40K a year minimum. I'd really like to make a bit more than that. I'm not afraid to work in dirty, cold, wet, hot, dusty conditions. I do it already, might as well get paid for it.
Long term, we want to settle somewhere. We don't mind having to leave KY but we don't want to bounce all over the place all the time either. Any suggestions? Thanks for taking time to answer my question.
Opie Knievel

I'm REALLY interested in TIG. I think that a job in a performance automotive setting would be enjoyable to me. Are there opportunities for good money in that?
Opie Knievel

The finance just informed me that she refuses to live in California, but anywhere else in the US is open for discussion.
She said she's afraid of earthquakes. I kinda don't blame her.

Beautiful state, built some automation equipment for Ohi Automotive there in Frankfort. 40K a year should be obtainable for sure, that's basically $20.00 per hour.

Performance automotive i.e. chassis work, etc. would be a good one for sure. But the demand is low and there are a lot of good TIG guys either competing for it or have an inside track with someone.

Fabrication shops: Range from low paying sweat shops to decent places to work and possibly benefits for your family. But you are doing the same thing every day, usually MIG welding flat, and a lot of it. If it is a repeatable assembly with high volume it has probably been automated, if not.....you are the robot.

Pipeline work: You can make six digits, especially if you own the rig. Going to travel, work a lot of hours and when it is done, it is done.

New construction: Powerhouse (usually organized labor) and not built everyday, Structural (organized or non-union depends on where you are at) not a bad choice in the right economy and right company.

In service pipe and overseas work: In service i.e. TDW hot tap/stopple, if you can work for someone and stay employed for 10 years you can retire, same with overseas work.

Commercial Diver: Wet and Dry (habitat) welding/cutting. Usually treated like a rock star, but again low demand.

You can try to be diverse, a damn good welder plus a damn good electrician or mechanic. Opens more doors.

And finally, start your own business.

There is a lot of experience here, I'm sure the other guys will have good ideas as well.
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Opie education is great and I highly recommend learning a trade. While going to school APPLY yourself. The classroom and theory is good but BURN ROD.Learn how to weld whatever on top of the bench, set it up at 45 degrees vertical, set it up at 45 degrees the other direction (leaning away and into you), set it up under the bench, learn to weld it at arms length and so close your eyes want to cross. Ask questions and remember the answers. Weld plate, angle, beams and pipe in any position. Learn how to and use 7018 rod as much as possible (why - because that is by far the most common all positon rod). The human body is not a crane so learn to use chain falls, come-a-longs, pinch bars etc. and don't be afraid to ask for help lifting heavy items. I've seen a LOT of guys ruin their backs. TIG and MIG are great process's but you need to learn stick welding in all positions.
When you get a job as a welder that is when your education really begins. Every job will teach you things and everybody you work with will also. Pay attention to how the other guy does it and learn from it. Learn the tricks of doing it easier, better and faster. If it is welding well turn it up ten and learn to handle it. Work smart, not hard (its going to be hard anyway but don't work harder than you have to). Don't be a golden arm welder that thinks welding is all I'm going to do. Learn to do it ALL. If you can rig it, fit it and weld it you will be on the job longer than the guy that just welds.
Just some thoughts from an old welder that has been doing it for well over 50 years.
Want to make a good living at it? - if so check with the metal trades about an apprenticeship.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
Opie Knievel

Thanks everyone who has replied.
I definitely plan on putting a lot of effort into school. I always try to learn as much as I can whenever I start a new job or class. As far as learning as many different aspects of a trade, my dad taught me that a long time ago. He said learn to do everything at a job and you'll be more valuable than the next guy who only knows how to do 1 or 2 things.

I have been burning rods everyday that I can. I actually put my MIG to the side for now to concentrate on Stick.

As far as school goes, what should I be looking for in a program and an instructor. The community college I'm looking into has 2 separate campuses that teach welding. They're both about the same distance from my home. What should I ask the instructors about their facilities, equipment and experience to help decide which would be the better choice?

Percentage of class (theory) and lab (hands on). I have taught at Junior Colleges occasionally and also have been through Union-JATC. Which is better? JATC. Just like Bill said, the rubber really hits the road when you start on the job. Junior College has only so much resources and time. After your apprenticeship class you go to work in your trade the next morning. (hopefully). Really hope you get a job early on like a welders helper, not going to be doing the welding you want but you will be learning the trade. If you practice your tail off and can burn out a 5p in Lo-Hy out 6G with no problem that is great. But you are not going to have much success going to a piping company and running into an offset,saddle or branch tee and not have a clue where to start. Take the classes, practice and then just look for an entrance position in a welding company. Find the oldest, grumpiest guy you can find there, make friends with him and watch and listen.
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Them grumpy old farts can teach you how to do it right the first time because you don't have time to do it over. If you don't do right they will also put knots on your punkin head! MIG is a great process and you can teach a chimpanzee how to weld something using it in a few minutes. I would concentrate my education about welding on SMAW (stick). Once you learn how to do it in all positions or hanging on by a toehold and welding at arms length 75 ft. straight up with nothing under you but God's grace THEN learn other methods.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

My tech college is smaller has some high quality equipment and all of our instructors are industry guys who are in their 50's and 60's and know their stuff. Meet with those instructors or look them up and see their certifications, experience, and education. Take a look at the shop. If it is clean,organized, and has some high quality clean machines it's a good school. It shows they care and make you care about their shop like you will later on.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick