General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

I never seen it until I came down here. Granted it is mostly schedule 40, but they will use the wrap around and then go around the pipe with a porta-band and then use a grinder to make the entire bevel.

Where I am from we bevel with our torches and most of us have 75 degree heads. I still free hand on the big stuff if there isn't much and only break out my beveling machine setup if there is a significant quantity of 12" and up. Only really use a grinder to maybe touch up an oops and knock down the land.

Looking into grinding wheel distributorship.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The pieces that come from the shop have a bevel cut on them from the flame table. They have a tri tool for the big stuff. And we use 4-1/2 in grinders with a flap disc for the rest. I don't use the wrap around for a true mark but with practice you can get real close. Or at least a lot closer than most butt weld fittings have to start with.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Some guys, depending on the project, I have seen use an engine lathe and set the angle at x-degrees and get it to be angle. Takes a while but if you don't have any other way and want to work with a lathe it's the way to go. Mostly for soup ins it short stuff though.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Poland308 wrote:The pieces that come from the shop have a bevel cut on them from the flame table. They have a tri tool for the big stuff. And we use 4-1/2 in grinders with a flap disc for the rest. I don't use the wrap around for a true mark but with practice you can get real close. Or at least a lot closer than most butt weld fittings have to start with.
You must get the overseas manufactured egg shaped fittings we get lol
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Poland308

Got some 3 in sch 40 stuff the other day and my 12 fittings were from 5 different countries. It was a mess I spent 2 flap discs and a couple of end grinder flap wheels getting things together.

Josh
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

I prefer lathe cut or from my carbide pipe beveler, but I have done a good bit of it with a grinder. I use a hard disk to knock down the edge then a flapper to grind it. Lay it down and run the grinder the pipe and roll your wrists. Or have your helper spin the pipe if it's on stands. If it's a tig root I'll take a die grinder and clean the inside edge. Should take a few min with a grinder. Not bad. Although 45 seconds with the carbide and it makes it seem awful.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

Not for spec but I have always butt together for best fit, tack them together and groove out both pieces at once with grinder then weld. Never had an issue. I did thousands of feet of 12" pipe for pilings that way. We made 40' out of shorter random lengths from 10-20 footers. Never had one fail.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.

Yep I could see that working real well, but I was talking more about CJP Section IX stuff. I find it amazing that on a job that had hundreds of joints to weld full pen, grinders would be used for full beveling, that is a LOT of freaking grinding.
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

It certainly is a lot. And you feel it the next day.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.

We used a Georg Fisher REB 6 for our pipe work which was 95% 316L, schedule 10 and 40. It seems this is a EH Wachs product now.
Richard
Website

Now that makes sense to me, I would buy one of those. Don't do alot of SS where I am, but works on CS and I would bet faster than my track torch beveling setups. Probably does almost a machined looking prep I would imagine.
Poland308

Don't know where from but the shop rented two additional Walchs machines when they had a big prodject.

Josh

DLewis0289 wrote:Now that makes sense to me, I would buy one of those. Don't do alot of SS where I am, but works on CS and I would bet faster than my track torch beveling setups. Probably does almost a machined looking prep I would imagine.
That it does, it's a pretty quick cut also
Richard
Website