General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

the title explains most of it I need to get a welding table (preferably somewhat portable table that doesn't weigh over 100lbs and can be fairly strong/ sturdy) I was thinking of getting a 4' build pro table with the circle slots til I saw the price tag, it will be a cold day in hell before I can justify 2,000$ for a table. Not to mention it's not all that portable.

(To give you an idea, I'll need to take it in and out of the house for about a month till the garage is built probably mid July)

So, then I looked at some YouTube videos and saw the nomad table that caught my attention, seems fairly multi purpose, except it seems pretty thin, so if I tack stuff and grind it off I don't want to eat away too much of the metal, which brings me to another point, I was thinking of adding 1/8-3/8 thick plate on it, but the top of the table made from zinc/zinc coated, so that would pose a problem when trying to weld on another layer on top of it.

[edit:] not to mention, that if i wouldnt put a layer of mild steel on top of the table to make it abit more sturdy, when and if i would need to tack anything to it, KAPOW hit with a nice whiff of toxic fumes :(
What do you guys think?

Nomad welding table worth it?

Thanks
Regards
Last edited by Least honorable on Fri May 27, 2016 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I have a nomad that I use regularly in the shop and on site. Its great for squaring up small frames and 1/2" pipe headers etc.

I definitely would not tack or weld to it. Clamping only. Welding to it would warp the table and render it useless. No need to tack anyway, stronghand clamps and square magnets is all you need to get the job done.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Least honorable

Coldman wrote:I have a nomad that I use regularly in the shop and on site. Its great for squaring up small frames and 1/2" pipe headers etc.

I definitely would not tack or weld to it. Clamping only. Welding to it would warp the table and render it useless. No need to tack anyway, stronghand clamps and square magnets is all you need to get the job done.
i need your opinion on this is this case, i was thinking of (once i get set up and sure it wont move for a good bit) tacking/welding some square tubing on the table to make it reach 6 1/2 feet high so that i can practice overhead tig welding, how would you suggest i go about doing this without welding it to the table? thanks for your input!

that being said.you do bring up a very good point that i did not think of! since its so thin, any significant welding done to it would probably warp it enough so that it would no longer be square, and i am aware about the clamps, jigs and fixtures, but does it come with some? or is it like a kit you buy on the side (i am probably going to buy a few magnetic V pads either way since theyre very handy)

thank you very much for your help

regards
noah

[edit] http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200342949 comes with no magnets or clamps, so ill buy some on the side, thanks for the help :)
Coldman

For coupon practice and overhead I would make a simple steel saw horse with 4" channel toes down. This will have enough weight to be sturdy. On one end weld 4ft of 1" sched40 or 80 pipe vertically to form a post. A 6" long piece of 1-1/4" sched40 pipe will slide up and down this post to whatever height you want. Drill a 9/16" hole in it, tack a 1/2" nut over the hole and screw in a 1/2" bolt to lock it in position. On the other side of the runner you can weld any combination of bar and clamp to hold your coupons in whatever position you want. It's easy to get around for welding and doesn't tie up your nomad table if real work comes in.
The nomad table does not come with clamps I think. They are available individually and in kits. Just google or ebay and you shall find.
Least honorable

i changed my mind and am going to get http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200609586

it is 1/8 thick so i can tack stuff without worrying about it, abit less portable but i think it will be worth it in the long run
Coldman

1/8" is still sheet metal and will warp with welding. Those tables are designed for clamping.

Least honorable wrote:i changed my mind and am going to get http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200609586

it is 1/8 thick so i can tack stuff without worrying about it, abit less portable but i think it will be worth it in the long run
I have one of those and it's great for fitup and tacking. I'll weld out small projects with short welds on it, but I'm leery of using it as a full-on welding table for large projects. I'm afraid it'd warp if too much heat got transferred into it.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Least honorable

ldbtx wrote:
Least honorable wrote:i changed my mind and am going to get http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200609586

I have one of those and it's great for fitup and tacking. I'll weld out small projects with short welds on it, but I'm leery of using it as a full-on welding table for large projects. I'm afraid it'd warp if too much heat got transferred into it.
i was worried of that too, but with a budget it seems like the only multipurpose table that comes with some fixtures and clampsfor a decent price (that i saw)

noah