General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Hello, I got a Tweco 925-1250 SGC-500 Steel Lever Welding Ground Clamp, 500-amp capacity. I was wondering, what size cable lug do I need for that? Also, I got 2/0 CCI ROYAL EXCELENE WELDING CABLE RED MADE IN USA wire. I ordered 30 feet of it. I ALSO got Tweco 9205-1250 SGC-500 Steel Lever Welding Ground Clamp, 500-Amp Capacity.

Next month is the month. I am ordering a Bobcat 250. I want everything I need before it arrives. :lol:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The AirGas page says the stud on that clamp is 1/2", so you'll need a 2-aught (2/0) by 1/2" lug.

I'm a big fan of soldering the wire into the lug, rather than just crimping. Use acid flux like you're sweating pipe, and silver-bearing plumbing solder, and prep accordingly, and you'll never worry about that connection corroding/oxidizing and making a weak connection. I also like to use an anti-corrosion coating like No-Ox-Ide A at the bolted fitting. A similar product is "bulb grease", at your auto parts store, used to protect the electrical connection between a twist-lock bulb and it's base. This is not the same thing as dielectric grease.

Steve S
Glowzinski

Well, I thank you for the facts. Though, I've not a clue as to what the things you mentioned are. haha I am new to welding. I just got a cheap welder and love it. I've decided to take a four hour class to learn more about it. I will post your response on my facebook. My grandfather will know of what you speak. haha Thank you very much. Super fast response and helpful. WELD ON!

Solder lug, 2/0 cable by 1/2" hole, to fit your cable and your new clamp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-Lugs-Copp ... 1fwzSsKBdA

Sorry, here's the specific part:

http://cart.payments.ebay.com/sc/add?ss ... 1093809742
Glowzinski

Well, you made that easy. haha I thank you.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm in the other camp - I do not solder and prefer to crimp connections.

Mostly due to my local hardware store carrying crimp connections probably. :)

I made a tool since I needed one that day and didn't want to wait a few days for the $12 one to ship.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

For the larger connections, I'm in the crimping camp as well.

I worked for a while doing power wiring for cellular sites.
Everything was 2/0 gauge, No-Ox (corrosion preventative) paste, double crimped with a set of crimpers that looked like a large set of bolt cutters. Metal to metal contact, copper strands compressed until it's effectively a solid bar of copper inside the lug.

I've had too many soldered connections fail in strange ways, and the acid in plumbers flux does evil things to electronics if not rinsed away, so I tend to avoid it entirely.

All that said, there are multiple ways to skin a cat, and no necessarily wrong way unless your trade or standards body states so.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.

We've got a failing connection on the same model clamp mentioned here, that was crimped with No-Ox-Id "A Special". The flex strain on the cable, over time (three years), loosened the strands in the crimp, and it now needs replaced. The wire will need cut back several inches to escape the oxidation and reach clean copper.

There are no "electronics" at the clamp to mess up, and acid flux can easily be neutralized on completion of the joint.

As stated, more than one school of thought on this.

Steve S
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Just as an aside thing - a 12" length of welding lead with a crimped on lug and a female Tweco quik connect on the other end makes a really excellent self defense item. Roll it around in the dirt some so it doesn't look brand new and tuck it under the drivers seat.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I take a piece of copper pipe just a bit larger than the diamiter of my wire and slit the side. Then I use it like a compression sleeve to crimp the wire under the lug screw. It seems to relieve some of the stress on the fine wires yet gives a good connection.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

plain ol Bill wrote:Just as an aside thing - a 12" length of welding lead with a crimped on lug and a female Tweco quik connect on the other end makes a really excellent self defense item. Roll it around in the dirt some so it doesn't look brand new and tuck it under the drivers seat.
A welcome addition to an otherwise mundane (but useful) topic :lol:
Richard
Website
Glowzinski

Well, that was random and interesting all at the same time. haha I have never fought anyone. May have to do with the fact that my dad mentally and physically abused my mom, brother and I. But, someone tries to rob or hurt me, 31 years of sadness and anger would come out. haha I would go full robot. :lol:
Glowzinski

Super helpful people on here. You guys should make Youtube videos, of all the stuff you are talking about. As I said, I am new. I can figure out what your talking about. haha But, lots of people need help with stuff. You guys could help a lot of people out.

I started a youtube thing for welding. I guess, I will post like, when I have an idea and am in the process of making something. Also, if I have any questions about the gear I will have. I could post the link on here, when I actually post something.

On a completely different note, with tools on the mind, I found a site called grizzly. They had a thing I need and two I was happy to find small and cheap. haha I got a miller saw. I thought it could use a steel cutting blade. It did not say abrasive only. I got it, opened it and tried to cut steel. The blade like, bent and the cut was totally off. I then looked on Amazon forums and saw that it WAS abrasive only. The one I want is like $439. But, on Grizzly, I found it for $399. It is the Dewalt DW872.

Now, I can not return the abrasive saw. The blade cut a small mark in the base. I can not lie and tell them it was like that. So, I am stuck with a $200 saw. haha Kind of sucks. I wish it had said abrasive only on it. BUT, on that site, I also found these. Which, I would not have done if not for the saw that did not work. So, I guess it was a good thing.

Grizzly G0765 - 7" X 14" Variable-Speed Benchtop Lathe

Grizzly G8689 - Mini Milling Machine

Grizzly G0781 - 4" x 18" 3/4 HP Mill/Drill

I would have no clue how to use any of these. But man, I would be so interesting in learning how to. I am so interested in working with metal, now that I started doing it. I would guess, reading the manual and trying is the only way to figure anything out. Anyone ever use any of these things?

plain ol Bill wrote:Just as an aside thing - a 12" length of welding lead with a crimped on lug and a female Tweco quik connect on the other end makes a really excellent self defense item. Roll it around in the dirt some so it doesn't look brand new and tuck it under the drivers seat.
Seems like an awful lot of work when the expandable baton works so nice :)

Plus, shooting them is always an option - but I like where your head is at :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

One advantage of the stub of cable is that you can often claim that it is just a tool, even when in a jurisdiction that tries to enforce a no weapons policy.

While working with the company that had me crimping the power cables, one of the other techs was telling of a job in southern California where there was rampant crime, but you couldn't have a weapon legally. A chunk of MCM750 cable that had been spliced and "kept for illustration" made a handy blunt weapon, and plausible explanation of the reason for having it with you...
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.

hey_allen wrote:One advantage of the stub of cable is that you can often claim that it is just a tool, even when in a jurisdiction that tries to enforce a no weapons policy.

While working with the company that had me crimping the power cables, one of the other techs was telling of a job in southern California where there was rampant crime, but you couldn't have a weapon legally. A chunk of MCM750 cable that had been spliced and "kept for illustration" made a handy blunt weapon, and plausible explanation of the reason for having it with you...
I bet the criminals are still allowed to have weapons :(
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

I like it !! :D