General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
caseyjaybenson
    Thu May 26, 2016 7:56 pm

What is the best 1 inch steel tubing that is a good balance between weight and strength? I am building some cabinets for my van.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Are you talking about "strength" in the sense of pulling tension? Or do you mean in terms of bending/flexing stiffness?
caseyjaybenson
    Thu May 26, 2016 7:56 pm

bending/flexing I have been trying to work with aluminum for the weight properties but I just cant seem to get it right and I am getting very frustrated. I seem to be able to weld steel with no problems at all. I am making a bed frame and cabinets for my RV/Van so I dont want to have to much weight added in.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

caseyjaybenson wrote:bending/flexing I have been trying to work with aluminum for the weight properties but I just cant seem to get it right and I am getting very frustrated. I seem to be able to weld steel with no problems at all. I am making a bed frame and cabinets for my RV/Van so I dont want to have to much weight added in.

Jody had a video somewhere on 'pie cut aluminium welding' where he is welding 1.6mm wall aluminium tube using Triangle Wave. Might be helpful if you want to have another shot at using aluminium.

Kym

There is some very high strength steel tubing made in Switzerland or Sweden I believe. Docol R8. But you're probably not gonna wanna spend as much as it costs for the projects you're working on.

You can go with 4130 chromoly, but the stiffness of a structure will depend more on the geometry of the joint rather than the material properties.
ttreb4
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

I would think that just standard mild steel in a .060 to .078 wall thickness would handle the weight with minimal flex. You can always add extra bracing if needed. I think DOM or Chromoly tubing would be overkill and overpriced.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

This stuff is alloy but I have used a steel version in the past. The below site is for demo purposes for you.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/connect-it- ... e_p1138262

Good for cupboards etc, not sure about a bed frame, a lot would depend on your design.

Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Oscar wrote:There is some very high strength steel tubing made in Switzerland or Sweden I believe. Docol R8. But you're probably not gonna wanna spend as much as it costs for the projects you're working on.

You can go with 4130 chromoly, but the stiffness of a structure will depend more on the geometry of the joint rather than the material properties.
Docol is the shit, it's just expensive lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:
Oscar wrote:There is some very high strength steel tubing made in Switzerland or Sweden I believe. Docol R8. But you're probably not gonna wanna spend as much as it costs for the projects you're working on.

Have you worked/welded with it previously?
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Oscar wrote:
GreinTime wrote:

Have you worked/welded with it previously?
We used it for a project at one of the shops I helped at when I was in school. We made ladder bars, as well as trans crossmembers, and front structure with it for a pulling truck. Granted, we bought because we were impressed with their display at PRI, the knowledgeable staff they had there, and the guy had unlimited budget. Whether it actually holds up better than 4130 in a wreck or not, would remain unseen, as it's hard to crash a pulling truck. Other people may have better input on the matter, but that's my story.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:53 pm

Why not plywood, glue, cleats, and staples? They use it for aircraft cabinetry for a reason, light weight.
Lincoln 100 amp transformer MIG w/flux core wire
HF TIG w/no pedal for steel & stainless, Stick w/3/32 6011,7018
Formerly: Victor O/A and Lincoln 225 AC buzz box
Looking to upgrade
Bikes-XR250, CRF230