General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Where can I find a printable template to lay out 45° on 1/2 of a 12" pipe I am thinking that an ellipsoid would work, or can someone tell me some easy math to mark this out? I have tried to mark 12.75" down the side, and use a flex rule, and I can tell it doesn't look right.
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You need a pipe fitters hand book. It has instructions on how to lay out any angle and how to figure out all the measurements.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The pipefitter's handbook will definitely get you there... You start from a square line around the pipe, mark degrees, draw perpendicular lines, measure ordinates from your square line, and connect the dots.

There are printable templates available that are very handy for a once-in-a-while fitter, and you can get books of them for any angle miter or saddle cut. There are programs available that will calculate and print them for you, for any size tube or pipe, virtually any practical angle.

I don't recall any of the sources for those at the moment, so I'll have to dig.

Steve S
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

You can layout a template by hand without a pipefitter handbook. Drawing to scale is needed and its much slower than "downloading" something.

Here is a link that may be of interest. http://www.weldingdata.com/pipetemplatesample.htm
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Google Tube Miter Program.
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Thanks for the help, but I thought a little out of the box ,and used a laser level on a stick , and traced the line , and the fit up was almost perfect. since it was a 1/2 of a tube it was easy.
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill