Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
D&Bserv
    Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:14 am

New member to the site. Just wanted to say hello to all my fellow metal melters and encourage new students that they are in a great trade to start a career. But I do have a question? When tig welding, what causes my helmet lens all of a sudden flash my view of the puddle so bright, that I lose sight of my weld, and yes I have auto darkening weld helmet. Several different makes and models. Also has anyone else experienced this? Thanks D&B
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Flashing is often attributed to obstructing the sensor, or weak batteries. Changes in the angle of your head can change the sensor’s perception of the arc and thereby automatically “shutdown” the dimming. If you move your hands or arms in front of the arc, the helmet snaps off, then as soon as you pass, the helmet darkens again. Sometimes, not fast enough either.

Also, ambient light plays havoc on auto darkening helmets. Does your helmet have an adjustment for Sensitivity? If so, turn it down and see if that helps. The severity of the arc will cause it to darken, but the slight change the ambient light can be ignored. Might help.
D&Bserv

Thanks cj737, have a great day!
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

What kind and model is your helmet?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
D&Bserv

Helmet is a Miller, lens has "OTOS Z87 W 3/8-13" written on it. It appears to be solar operated, no batteries.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Thought yours might be a Lincoln Viking; had to take mine back for the same reason. My LWS said they're getting a lot of them back.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737