Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Nathalie
    Sat May 04, 2019 4:43 am

Hi All,
I found this forum in a search to have a question answered, and am glad I did. Lots to read here!

I just started welding about 6 months ago when an incident at work forced me to have a few months off. Silver lining was spending time with my retired Dad who taught me. Since then I'm hooked have started welding recycled steel sculptures, and all sorts of useful things for around the farm. I'm using MIG, stick and just starting TIG.

The question that brought me here relates to 'Oxyshield' which is sold here in Australia for garden purposes and described by the manufacturer as having a rust look as it oxidises on the outside, but has the qualities of stainless steel. I can't find any other info on it.
A friend has asked me to build a wood storage unit for her out of this stuff, but before she goes and and buys it, I want to be sure I can weld it with a standard stick or TIG weld. From what I've read, stainless steel can be tricky, and depending on its composition can result in breaks along welds. I need this thing to be strong and safe.
Can anyone guide me on this?

Thanks in advance.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Good morning,

I enjoyed your photos, you are immensely talented.

To answer your question, I believe the Oxy shield is simply a trade name for what is called weathering steel. It is sold in a raw finish and then rusts to a specific point and then becomes stable. The more common one, for actual fresh materials you can cut is called Corten steel. You will find working and welding procedures on their website.

Best of luck, keep up the good work,
Best, Mick.

Nathalie
    Sat May 04, 2019 4:43 am

That's really helpful, thanks Mike.
And thank you for the positive feedback on my pics. I'm loving working with metal and have lots of ideas but still developing the skills needed to execute some of them, so very grateful for all the info here. :)

No problem.

Hope you stay around and keep sharing your projects.

Mick