Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
seadevil9_CFCC
    Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:52 am

Hello,

I'm a student in 2nd semester in Wilmington, NC.

Due to lockdowns we missed months of class. I'm here to get any tips I can and hopefully make up ground.

Thanks
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

seadevil9_CFCC wrote:Hello,

I'm a student in 2nd semester in Wilmington, NC.

Due to lockdowns we missed months of class. I'm here to get any tips I can and hopefully make up ground.

Thanks
Have you tried running beads?

You haven't given very much information. I think if you want to get some advice it would help to let people know what process you're welding, how powerful the machine you have, power at your house, stuff like that.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
seadevil9_CFCC
    Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:52 am

TraditionalToolworks wrote: Have you tried running beads?

You haven't given very much information. I think if you want to get some advice it would help to let people know what process you're welding, how powerful the machine you have, power at your house, stuff like that.
I just meant as a general introduction. I'm welding TIG, MIG , and SMAW. All on different machines in class.

I will post more specific questions about beads, joints, etc in specific forum. Thanks
TraditionalToolworks

seadevil9_CFCC wrote:I just meant as a general introduction. I'm welding TIG, MIG , and SMAW. All on different machines in class.

I will post more specific questions about beads, joints, etc in specific forum. Thanks
Ok, I have a tip for you. If you listen to Welding Tips & Tricks podcast, on today's podcast they have Art Kepplen, co-founder of CK Worldwide and if you send an email to help@ckworldwide.com they will send you an "Easy Dabber" for free.

You can listen to the podcast at: https://wttpodcast.libsyn.com/

I was thinking more of what if any machine you have at home, or do you just use the ones at your class?

If you don't have a machine at home, start looking for one on craigslist, even a cheap stick welder would be something you could start fabricating with. Look for the basic tools if you don't have, a bench grinder, an angle grinder, even a belt sander (portable or stationary). It takes more than a welder to fabricate stuff, so start jumping in if you don't have any of that stuff and start looking for some of it on the cheap if you can find it. I do all the time...I'm always scouring the tools section on craigslist.

One really good book you can get from the Lincoln Foundation inexpensively for welding is "Metals and how to weld them", you can get it for $15. This is highly recommended by many great welders including Jody Collier and Carl Hoes. Carl teaches at the Lincoln Electric Welding School. You probably know who Jody is or you probably wouldn't be here. :D

https://www.jflf.org/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MHW
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

seadevil9_CFCC wrote:
TraditionalToolworks wrote: Have you tried running beads?

I just meant as a general introduction. I'm welding TIG, MIG , and SMAW. All on different machines in class.

Welcome sea devil. Pay no attention to TTW, he's old and forgets that the member introduction section is not about posting questions or seeking advice just yet. Its only for 'member introductions'. Who'd have thought? :D
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:Welcome sea devil. Pay no attention to TTW, he's old and forgets that the member introduction section is not about posting questions or seeking advice just yet. Its only for 'member introductions'. Who'd have thought? :D
Yeah, who woulda thought...evidently I didn't get your memo... :roll:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan