Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
grob
    Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:11 am

Hi Guys,
Rookie welder here. I am trying to improve my MIG welding skills but a big hurdle I am facing is that I am having a real hard time seeing the joint I am trying to weld when my auto darkening helmet kicks on. I blamed it on a cheap Harbor Freight helmet, so I purchased a new one from Hobart ($99 on Amazon). Same problem at the lowest auto dark setting. I do wear glasses however I am not really visually impaired. As it stands, I am trying to make a good weld, but I am finding myself getting off track. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks. GBR
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

I'm a rookie too and just bought an Esab Savage A40 to replace a much older Esab autodark.
The difference in clarity is astounding. Search the product reviews for a couple of pics taken through my old and new helmet.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
grob
    Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:11 am

Thanks David for your reply. Did you notice a difference in brightness when welding?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

The condition of your clear plastic protective lenses/cover plate is probably the single most important thing for something like this (assuming you have the correct shade in the darkened state), IMO. There is a HUGE difference between smoked, pitted lenses that have been exposed to SMAW or GMAW-S welding, and a brand new clear plastic lens/cover plate.
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

grob wrote:Thanks David for your reply. Did you notice a difference in brightness when welding?
Pictures speak better than words in this case.
Old

New

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225