Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Red Rambler
    Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:01 pm

Hello, new here and looking to gain insight on Tig. I have always used Mig but want to try and learn the art of Tig. I own a millermatic 211 for mig, and just purchased an alphatig 201xd, but have yet to receive it yet. Seems to be a wealth of knowledge here and happy to join.
Red Rambler

Tig machine arrived today. Next steps are to purchase an argon tank, tungsten, and some filler rod. The machine itself looks pretty good, knobs all turn well and digital display appears to be very close to the numbers on the knobs. The torch feels cheap and will likely be my first upgrade, however, will use the stock torch to get things rolling. From here I will likely post in the Tig section to figure out why my welds don’t look so great lol.

Thinking about this Tig torch, CK worldwide 17 series. Any thoughts on this one?
CK torch
Last edited by Red Rambler on Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

The next steps should be to watch each and every single video from Welding Tips & Tricks youtube channel. Almost everything I know about TIG has come from there. Not saying that is worth a lot, just saying. :)
Red Rambler

Oscar wrote:The next steps should be to watch each and every single video from Welding Tips & Tricks youtube channel. Almost everything I know about TIG has come from there. Not saying that is worth a lot, just saying. :)
Thanks Oscar, that is what I have been doing to prepare lol. Excited to get things rolling. The first thing I plan on welding is a 1/4” piece of flat carbon steel. Just run my torch and no filler. See how well I can hold my torch 1/8” from the workpiece, consistently. I need to find an amps chart for metal thickness as well.

What are your thoughts on this torch? CK torch
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Red Rambler wrote:
Oscar wrote:The next steps should be to watch each and every single video from Welding Tips & Tricks youtube channel. Almost everything I know about TIG has come from there. Not saying that is worth a lot, just saying. :)
Thanks Oscar, that is what I have been doing to prepare lol. Excited to get things rolling. The first thing I plan on welding is a 1/4” piece of flat carbon steel. Just run my torch and no filler. See how well I can hold my torch 1/8” from the workpiece, consistently. I need to find an amps chart for metal thickness as well.

What are your thoughts on this torch? CK torch
You don't need an amp chart. Start with 1 amp per 0.001" metal thickness for TIG as a basic rule of thumb. That changes with actual parts/orientation/geometry, but it's close. The main thing you need to strive for is to learn how to weld and the rest will follow. Meaning if you know what a good molten puddle size is for the thickness you're welding, then that is what you need to strive for (assuming the rest of the technique is sound). When I started TIG in '08 or '09 I was too hung up on "the numbers" and it wasn't until much later that I realized, on my own kinda sorta, that I need to pay attention to the puddle and the part. 1/8" is a good goal for arc length when beginning. CK is good stuff I use it. I also use Weldtec/TecTorch. Heck I have a little of everything too, cheap $9 china torches, and a Heavy Hitter 350 torch that I have yet to setup, lol.
Red Rambler

Sounds like a good plan, get my feet wet and see how it goes. I will roll with the stock torch for now and upgrade later once funds allow. Hopefully I can get my argon tank and consumables to get things going. Thankfully my welding supply store is 5 miles down the road. Will post some progress pics or lack of in the tig section. Thanks again.
EMForrester
    Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:37 pm

Red Rambler wrote:Tig machine arrived today. Next steps are to purchase an argon tank, tungsten, and some filler rod. The machine itself looks pretty good, knobs all turn well and digital display appears to be very close to the numbers on the knobs. The torch feels cheap and will likely be my first upgrade, however, will use the stock torch to get things rolling. From here I will likely post in the Tig section to figure out why my welds don’t look so great lol.

Thinking about this Tig torch, CK worldwide 17 series. Any thoughts on this one?
CK torch
CK Worldwide is a good brand. I recently bought a WeldPro ACDC TIG 200 and was happy to see it came with a CK 17 flex. Run it!
Red Rambler

EMForrester wrote:
Red Rambler wrote:Tig machine arrived today. Next steps are to purchase an argon tank, tungsten, and some filler rod. The machine itself looks pretty good, knobs all turn well and digital display appears to be very close to the numbers on the knobs. The torch feels cheap and will likely be my first upgrade, however, will use the stock torch to get things rolling. From here I will likely post in the Tig section to figure out why my welds don’t look so great lol.

CK torch
CK Worldwide is a good brand. I recently bought a WeldPro ACDC TIG 200 and was happy to see it came with a CK 17 flex. Run it!
Thanks EM. I will be making that upgrade ASAP.
Olecoot
    Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Welcome
Fame is vapor, popularity an accident, riches take wings. Only one thing endures and that is Character.
Red Rambler

Well, no dice on getting a tungsten locally. They were all out of what I wanted. 3/32 2% lanthanated as Jody says it’s good stuff. Might as well give it a shot. Ordered it from the Weldmonger Store. Where I live this is quite typical. Gotta order everything specific online, gets old, but shipping is normally not too bad. Maybe by Saturday I can light it up and see what happens. I currently have a 68 c10, Chevy truck I am redoing and taking a bit of a break from it, cab rust repair. So, attempting to learn to tig during my hiatus.