Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
ccgarnaal
    Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:35 am

Hello

I'm a marine engineer and hobbyist.
I do ocasional welding at work or at home.
So far I only have expierence with electrode steel, stainless steel and gas welding.

However I would like to be able to weld marine grade aluminium alloys 3-10mm thick.
I strongly believe I can learn this from your great site. :P

However what gear, welding machines would I need for this? :?:

gr, Cedric from Belgium
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Cedric,

I'll refrain from offering suggestions just yet, as many members here are more familiar with the brands available in Europe.

The simplest answer is, (assuming you're going to TIG weld it) you'll need 250 Amps of HFAC with a good duty cycle for 10mm. For a truly good duty cycle at 250A, a 350A machine with a water cooled torch would be a good choice.

Just general suggestions. It can be done on less power with preheat and/or helium mix.

Welcome to the forum!

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Ccgarnaal Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
ccgarnaal

Otto Nobedder wrote:Welcome, Cedric,

I'll refrain from offering suggestions just yet, as many members here are more familiar with the brands available in Europe.

The simplest answer is, (assuming you're going to TIG weld it) you'll need 250 Amps of HFAC with a good duty cycle for 10mm. For a truly good duty cycle at 250A, a 350A machine with a water cooled torch would be a good choice.

Just general suggestions. It can be done on less power with preheat and/or helium mix.

Welcome to the forum!

Steve S
Thank you for the information.

I never even considered needing a water cooled unit, I gues that just stepped up my starting price even more.
In general shipbuilding a MIG is used, why, is it faster, cheaper? If so why TIG, better weld quality?
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

Welcome to the site!

No suggestions, as I still have fits with aluminuim.

My grandparents came from Zillbake Zillibaken (?) 100+ years ago. -c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!

ccgarnaal wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

Steve S

I never even considered needing a water cooled unit, I gues that just stepped up my starting price even more.
In general shipbuilding a MIG is used, why, is it faster, cheaper? If so why TIG, better weld quality?
There are air-cooled torches that can handle 500A. They just become unweildy to use due to size and weight.

For the MIG/TIG argument, TIG is always capable of higher quality, and MIG is generally faster. A decision between the processes must be based on your needs. I would not attempt a helium-tight vacuum weld with MIG, nor would I build a simple equipment cabinet with TIG, to show two extremes.

Steve S
ccgarnaal

Otto Nobedder wrote:
ccgarnaal wrote:

Welcome to the forum!

Steve S

There are air-cooled torches that can handle 500A. They just become unweildy to use due to size and weight.

For the MIG/TIG argument, TIG is always capable of higher quality, and MIG is generally faster. A decision between the processes must be based on your needs. I would not attempt a helium-tight vacuum weld with MIG, nor would I build a simple equipment cabinet with TIG, to show two extremes.

Steve S
Thanks again,

As spare time is free and quality goes over quantity.
I gues I'm going to start looking for a proper TIG welder.

My main use would be to fabricate small parts in aluminium and stainless steel for yachts.

gr, Cedric

Cedric, you'll find much help here. There's a lot of marine work, and some of it "high end".

Steve S