Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Mizzip
    Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:06 pm

I have just begun a welding class and would like some feedback on the quality of some of my first welds. I was welding with a 6013 electrode on some kind of steel ( not stainless).
026.jpg
026.jpg (37.43 KiB) Viewed 745 times
025.jpg
025.jpg (50.97 KiB) Viewed 745 times
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Mizzip,
First welcome to the Forum. Your welds are looking good. I am surprised that your instructor is not having you whip the 6013. Not that you should/shouldn't. The welds themselves look reasonably uniform as far as how smooth they are. Honestly this is better work than I have seen out of some beginners. Keep up the good work and keep the questions and pictures coming.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:Mizzip,
I am surprised that your instructor is not having you whip the 6013. Not that you should/shouldn't. .
Just thought I would clarify that I don't recommend whipping 6013, just I have seen so many whip this rod, including limited instructors.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Mizzip.
Not bad for your first try.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome to the forum.
you should congratulate yourself on those welds, are those your first welds?

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Mizzip

AKweldshop wrote:Welcome to the forum.
you should congratulate yourself on those welds, are those your first welds?

~John
They are from the first time i ever welded. The welds in the picture are within the first 30 beads i ran during my first time.

I'm sure you've had some though-the-helmet watching time. ;) ;)
Right?
~John

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Mizzip

AKweldshop wrote:I'm sure you've had some though-the-helmet watching time. ;) ;)
Right?
~John
To be honest with you I knew absolutely nothing about welding when i first came in, We were putting on our gear and prepping for the assignment and I was like "So what do i do?". I got paired up with one of the more experienced guys in the class and he ran me through it for about 20 minutes (How the machine works, how to strike an arc, what can get me hurt etc.) and i watched him for about 5 minutes. Then I started on my own and thats what you see above. I feel like they are average quality, Im just curious as to how i stack up against other begginers and if i have potential or not.

Here's a some good videos on stick.
http://welding-tv.com/2012/04/05/stick- ... rom-bubba/
http://welding-tv.com/2012/10/24/boy-sc ... k-welding/
http://welding-tv.com/2012/10/10/stick- ... -buzz-box/

I would highly recommend watching these three(3) videos, they will help you tremendously!!!

~John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Mizzip

So its been a minute since ive posted my beginning welds. Since then Ive gained some experience with MIG and TIG. The reason i signed up for the class was to become familiar with welding related information and gain experience welding. My goal is to one day pass a 6G test. I am wondering whatyou guys think would be a good place to start learning/honing skills to do that. Right now i understand the very basics of Stick (SMAW) welding, I can operate the machine and run an average looking bead. What I want to is to be knowledgeable on the ins and outs of all the things we do, such as how this type of metal reacts to this amperage with this electrode. How different angles effect the weld, what temperatures are ideal for welding different types/shapes of metals. I can do lap and T joints fine, but looking ahead to the 6G is intimidating. Anyways what books/websites should i be reading, What things should i be learning and what should i be practicing to become a better welder and more specifically capable of passing a 6G. I know its far off but I am willing to learn and capable. Thanks for your help.