Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
    Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi to all. I'm a retired welder/fitter/mechanic/electronics tech. I'm a Viet Nam vet with disabilities (agent orange ate my heart). I'm now a hobbyist. I presently have a smarter tools 200 amp inverter stick box( don't laugh it actually is a decent box) price was right $200.00 US at home depot. I'm awaiting the arrival of a new Lincoln Squarewave tig 175 with undercarriage. It will probably be a week or two before it is delivered. Can't wait to try it out. Next I'll get a plasma cutter and a oxy acetylene setup. And rent a 125 or 150 cf bottle of argon first.
I look forward to reading what is on the forum and hopefully participating as my health allows. So far I have lurked and found some very very good info and a lot of very knowledgeable welders here. I hope to learn a lot.

Thanx All
Roy
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Roy
First and foremost thank you for your service to this country!!! Welcome to the forum. Give us a review on the stick welder when you get the time.
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:Roy
First and foremost thank you for your service to this country!!! Welcome to the forum. Give us a review on the stick welder when you get the time.
-Jonathan
Thanx Jonathan! The smarter tools welder? Model S-200i IGBT Inverter anti-stick technology and arc stabilization
Its rated at 20-200 amps D.C. only. Comes with short leads 8 foot stinger and 6 foot ground. Uses din-30-50 plugs so it is easy enough to replace the leads and use straight or reverse polarity. Has an L.E.D. display that shows the amps you set and a dial to set it. Comes with the hand held face cover and a funny looking chipper/brush. It's an inverter and runs only on 230 volts. No 120 volt connections. Would work OK as a scratch start tig with the proper torch and a hand switch for gas.
specs:
134A / 25V @ 100%
173A / 26.9V @ 60%
200A / 28V @ 45% Rated Output for STICK Welding 200A/28V@45%
Rated Input Current (A) for STICK Welding 37A =200A@28V
Weight 16 Lbs (7.3 KG)
H 16.4" x W 5.5" x D 11.0"
(417mm×140mm×282mm)
Recommended circuit is 50 amp breaker
There is a power switch in the rear and it is fan cooled.
There is an overheat indicator on the display panel and a plastic flip up cover on the display.

In operation I've run 1/6" 6011, 3/32" 6011, 7018, 308-16 and 1/8" 7018 and 308-16. Starts are easy and the arc is quite smooth. The dial and display seem to be accurate and the welder responds to changing amperage. I've been using it intermittently for over a year with no failures and no overheats. It is very light and so is very easy to move around the garage. I use a 20 foot #8-3 extension cord. I have a 50amp dedicated circuit and breaker for welding 6-50R. The welder comes with a 6-50P plug already installed. It has quite a bit power and can easily burn through 1/8" steel when you crank up the amps. I am very impressed with this little welder. I payed $200.00 ordering on-line from home depot. It came with a 5 year warranty.

I would recommend this welder to anyone who wants to weld on a budget.
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum from another retired Viet Nam vet.

paul_s wrote:Welcome to the forum from another retired Viet Nam vet.
Thanx! Paul. Thank you for serving your country during such a trying time.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Wow! you sound like a salesman.
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your service.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:Wow! you sound like a salesman.
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your service.

~John
Thanx John! Never sold anything in my life, not that I made money on.
Roy
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Roy.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200

Mike wrote:Welcome to the forum Roy.
Thanx Mike! Bunch of great guys here.