Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
chubbysautocenter
    Fri May 16, 2014 4:04 pm

I looked everywhere on the forum and couldnt find. what is the scale to measure your posts so I too can be a weldmonger. :geek:
I HATE BEING BI POLAR ITS GREAT
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

chubbysautocenter wrote:I looked everywhere on the forum and couldnt find. what is the scale to measure your posts so I too can be a weldmonger. :geek:
It's a secret... ;)

Under the current system, 500 posts achieves weldmonger status. I don't recall the breakdown for the other rankings, but I don't put much stock in it anyway, as it's too easy to "pad" numbers, by posting as little as "Welcome" to every new person who shows up.

It doesn't take a week here to know who's knowledgeable in what, though.

Like many things, the "ranking system" made a nice theory, but the practice doesn't deliver on the promise. There are some ideas being tossed around to make it more useful.

Steve S
chubbysautocenter

Otto Nobedder wrote:
chubbysautocenter wrote:I looked everywhere on the forum and couldnt find. what is the scale to measure your posts so I too can be a weldmonger. :geek:
It's a secret... ;)

Under the current system, 500 posts achieves weldmonger status. I don't recall the breakdown for the other rankings, but I don't put much stock in it anyway, as it's too easy to "pad" numbers, by posting as little as "Welcome" to every new person who shows up.

It doesn't take a week here to know who's knowledgeable in what, though.

Like many things, the "ranking system" made a nice theory, but the practice doesn't deliver on the promise. There are some ideas being tossed around to make it more useful.

Steve S
well my posts are mainly gonna come from questions. I wish I took a class or something. I just went out and got a bunch of welding machines. I am mainly learning from the videos on this site. thanks
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The only thing I ever had any "teaching" on was TIG welding, when I was partnered up with a guy who couldn't fit. We traded skills.

I taught myself everything else I know. (Not quite true, as I've used sources like Jody, and other information on the internet, but that's not the same as having an experienced hand looking over your shoulder.)

It can be done. I'm now the only ASME code welder in my shop, and I never took a single welding class. I put a great deal of effort into educating myself, and it's been worth it. If you've been following, I'm interested in the metallurgy, the theory, and the practice in equal amounts.

Practice, patience, and study will get you anywhere you are interested enough to go.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Here is the scale for the status'
http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... =11&t=3083
-Jonathan
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Let the post whoring begin! :lol: :mrgreen: :P
chubbysautocenter

Otto Nobedder wrote:The only thing I ever had any "teaching" on was TIG welding, when I was partnered up with a guy who couldn't fit. We traded skills.

I taught myself everything else I know. (Not quite true, as I've used sources like Jody, and other information on the internet, but that's not the same as having an experienced hand looking over your shoulder.)

It can be done. I'm now the only ASME code welder in my shop, and I never took a single welding class. I put a great deal of effort into educating myself, and it's been worth it. If you've been following, I'm interested in the metallurgy, the theory, and the practice in equal amounts.

Practice, patience, and study will get you anywhere you are interested enough to go.

Steve S
VERY INSPIRING. THANKS
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey,
The number of posts a member has, gives no relevance on a persons skill, or ability.
Look at me.
Over 1700 posts.
I could be no better than that master welder who just joined, and currently has 10posts.
Here's a tip.
Just say welcome to the forum 500 times.
Mike, Paul, and myself are raising our post count that way. :mrgreen:

Oh well.
There went one gig for nothing. :?
John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024