Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Joe_
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Been a fan of the site for years.
I'm a hobby welder.
I'm trying to find out about an abrasive wheel that was used in a video to remove scale off hot rolled plate without damaging the plate.

Any help would be appreciated as I am building a couple of pieces for a motorcycle I own and now need to descale them before painting. I'm in a fairly remote area so I buy most things online. It's 60 miles to the nearest welding supply.

I'll post this request down in the prep area also. Thanks in advance.

Joe
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Joe,

While I'm not sure what video you're referring to, I've had good success descaling hot-rolled with a course flap-disk on a 4 1/2" grinder...

Here's an example:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=fla ... edIndex=13

The 40-grit works faster, but for paint should be followed with a 120 or 180 grit...

Hope this points you in the right direction... Here's the search page from Bing, on the image page. Most images have the company name in the address:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=fla ... ORM=IGRE#a

My welding suppler is at work, so the search isn't an issue for me, I just submit a P.O., but many of these companies will take online orders.

[EDIT] Most of our abrasives are from PFERD or Merit.

Steve S
Joe_
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks for the reply but in a video that Jody posted a while ago he had a special disk he ran across that was sort of a scotchbrite pad on steroids designed to remove the scale from hot rolled plate without scratching up the plate itself.

He said it worked great but when I checked it was near $30 a wheel I think.
Now I need one and have lost the favorites that I had things like that stored under.
Thanks again for the help though.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Joe.
You can go to Jodies web site and look up vid's.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

flyinfairlane
    Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:48 pm

norton-rapid-strip.jpg
norton-rapid-strip.jpg (17.24 KiB) Viewed 513 times
norton-rapid-strip.jpg
norton-rapid-strip.jpg (17.24 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Welcome from another new guy
FitNPipe
    Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Hey man, welcome to the forum. I use tiger paw discs for paint removal and scale. Just a flapper for the angle grinder.
AHP 200x
Frustration
Grinder, not a welder.