Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
GarryH
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:10 am

Hi all, I'm an older guy who has played with welding (gas and stick) since a kid but just this year decided to formalise the training and started TAFE Night Welding classes. Into my third term/semester now and doing mid level TIG having done basic and mid level MIG already.

Not looking for a job welding, I am retired already, just hobby welding on my race cars, workshop stuff and furniture etc is the aim but with at least certificates to make me feel better about my welds.

Found a lot or resources on this site and enjoying reading the forums. Happy to learn from all the experts on here. Thought I should sign up seeing as I have been reading for a while.

Have my own MIG, TIG, Plasma gear and enjoying learning at this stage.

Garry
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

welcome
you are right there are some real deal welders here, very helpful as well!
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Garry,

How do you feel about the TAFE training so far? We have a handful of folk going through it who are discovering they're being "taught" by inexperienced ameteurs, and are very unsatisfied with the training they're receiving. The general concensus is that they've learned more from Jody and the folk here than from their "paid instructors".

If you're well pleased, I hope you'll share the name and location of the school so others may benefit.

(Actually, if you're UNhappy with the training, sharing the name will ALSO benefit, but maybe wait until you finish... :roll: )

Steve S
coldman
  • coldman

I did my certification at Eagle Farm Tafe. My teachers were awesome but with the change of government there has been a shift towards fiscal efficiency that has caused all the teachers I knew to move on. I don't know what the new generation of teachers are like. I hope quality of teaching has not dropped.
GarryH
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:10 am

Hi Guys and thanks for the welcome.

The TAFE quality does vary when you are not actively pursuing certificates for a job I think. I am lucky, going to the Bremer TAFE and my instructor is a lifetime blacksmith who now teaches. He is one of two old time instructors there who do the Night Welding courses.

At night welding it is basically self paced learning, you do the theory in your own time, not in a classroom, but get good feedback from the instructors. Biggest thing for me is the use of the facilities, being taught theoretical "best practice" welding but also shown the shortcuts etc. be real world welders. Also the abundant facilities that are included in the very low fees, about $12 for each 3 hour night with top line welding equipment, and included consumables. To practice at home, welding gas is my biggest expense, our gas prices are very much higher than US prices.

So, in short, I find it very good value, the apprentices etc who also attend get more attention than I do, but if I have a question or issue, I get help as and when needed. So a thumbs up for Bremer TAFE from me. I want to finish the Cert IV courses in MIG and TIG by mid next year with the main aim being to feel satisfied with welding my own roll cages and chassis work.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

From one new member to another, welcome. I think you'll find much of interest here. I sure have :)
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Garry.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200