Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
mike594
    Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:12 pm

Hello,
My name is Mike and I am not a welder. I am 46 year old Correction Officer. I have always wanted to weld. I obviously am not going to start a career at this stage of my life but I still would like to be safe and good at whatever I do. I am kinda a little OCD and like to immerse my self at whatever I do. I am going to buy a lincoln 180 duel unless I hear other wise here. It seems like a nice starter machine from what I have seen. So I am glad to be here and look forward to learning, even if it is just for my self gratification. Oh and thanks Jody for all your videos and your website. You are the bomb. Oh also my wife thinks I'm nuts lol. They just don't understand. It could be worse, I could go buy a motorcycle like everyone else or an old car lol.
Mike
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Mike.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Mike594,

Welcome aboard!

Lincoln, like the other big brands, now have a lot of import parts, but they tend to have great customer service for the occasional problem these import parts may cause.

Whether this machine will be enough for you depends entirely on your goals; What do you see yourself welding after five years' experience? I always recommend, for someone who's been bitten by the welding bug, a bigger machine than you think you need, because IF you really enjoy it, you will always outgrow your starter machine.

I think the 180 dual is a great starter machine, and you won't go wrong with it. Just be sure it's capable of where you want to go, or you'll be buying up in a few years.

Two cents...

Steve S
mike594

Hello Steve,
Thanks for the welcome. As far as goals go there are none other than to do the best i can at whatever I do. I have no problem spending a bit more for a better machine. What would you recommend ? I was just looking on eBay a miller mattic 211 with a cart and spool gun for 1400. What do you think? Anyone please chime in.
Thanks
Mike
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

The Millermatic machines are nice, I've used the 211 and the 252. I don't MIG weld often, but I do like the Lincoln 180 and the 211 both. When Steve asks what your goals are, he doesn't necessarily mean skill as a welder; obviously, if after 5 years you see no marked improvement, you should probably just quit wasting your time ;)

What do you plan on welding? The spoolgun gives you the capability to weld Aluminum, but MIG'n Al is a fickle beast that most of us on here are likely to admit we still struggle with. What kind of parts are you going to be welding? How thick are the parts you are going to be welding? Steel, Stainless, Cast, or Aluminum?

As stated above, the Millermatic machines performed great though I have limited experience with them, as did the Lincoln 180.

I guess the most important question out of all of this ramble I've now turned this into would be: What do you plan on/imagine yourself welding? If we know that, we can offer better advice on what machine we think would suit you, and whether either of those machines fit the bill.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
mike594

Ok, so to be more specific i am definitely going to try and fix my truck rocker panels and some other problem spots. Maybe do some trailer fixing and upgrading. Then after that sky's the limit. I'm going to be retired in 8 years so maybe, who knows where I will go from there. Maybe go take some welding classes.
Mike
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

mike594 wrote:Ok, so to be more specific i am definitely going to try and fix my truck rocker panels and some other problem spots. Maybe do some trailer fixing and upgrading. Then after that sky's the limit. I'm going to be retired in 8 years so maybe, who knows where I will go from there. Maybe go take some welding classes.
Mike
With those goals in mind, I think the 180 dual will be nearly perfect.

In eight years, when retirement looms, is the time to decide whether to trade up or not. You'll know by then whether welding is utilitarian for you, or a real addiction.

Again, my two cents, and your mileage may vary.

Steve S
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Welcome to the forum. This is definitely the place for welding enthusiasts of all levels. As you set out learning this new addiction, and believe me it is one, you will likely never have a question that someone in here can't help you with.
Cheers. :)
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

welcome
buy a motorcycle as well.
there is always something you can build and weld and add
to a motorcycle.
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:25 pm

My Miller Maxstar 150 SMAW/GTAW is the best equipment investment I've made. It runs on 110 or 220, is fully portable (it's tiny), and is a stick and TIG machine. Have earned back the $900 investment.

Make your wife some pretty tokens and she may warm to your new interest. You can fab up some lovely things without a lot of skill or expense.
--Tater