Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Boyracer
    Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:46 pm

Hello, I'm Bruce and I live here in Central Florida about twenty mile from Mouseland. My main passion is drag racing with a side interest in race carburetion.

Back in Michigan my BIL (brother in law, first wife, now back to being my buddy) did all my welding. A couple of race cars, trailers, etc. Sixteen years ago I moved here. I was able to get some welding done locally but, not anymore. I gotta do it myself.

My welding needs are pretty much tabs, brackets, and other small things. I need to build new headers over the winter, though, because mine are old and have been blasted and coated three times. To that end, I just bought a new Lincoln 175 Tig locally. I was a municipal appointed official in a previous life, so I'm hardwired to buy locally if I can.

I have a Hobart 175 Handler I bought 12 or 13 years ago. It doesn't like me but, Jody's videos have already pointed out some things I was doing wrong.

I do everything else, guess I better learn to weld correctly.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Bruce,
Welcome to the forum.

This forum is a good source for the do it yourself kind of guy. With some help and a lot of seat time you can learn to weld everything on your racecar, but I'd suggest you learn on things that are not critical and leave the ones that have safety functions be left until later in your learning. We would all like to be able to make up a roll cage but if I'm rolling down the strip at a buck thirty I'd like it to be welded by the best welder I know. But you can get there.

Any questions you have can be answered here, we have people here from many backgrounds that can answer all things welding and fabrication, so ask away. You don't have to worry about anybody putting you down for not knowing the answer, we don't allow it here.

You'll also find quite a few folks here with interest in race cars and motorcycles that you can chew the fat with.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Boyracer
    Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks Braehill. No, no safety critical welding for me. The last time I had to do that, I cut and tacked everything in place. Then I hauled it to Orlando and had Tim Takash final weld it.

My welding will be brackets, new headers, another alternator mount, and stuff like that. I'm on my last chassis, no more new ones.

I'm retired , so I have time on my hands. Time to take it slow, learn the right way, and do it correctly.

Now about that Hobart that doesn't like me.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Bruce welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
dunkster
    Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:41 pm

Welcome Bruce. As mentioned, lots of friendly help here...and no such thing as "too stupid" of a question.

I'm about an hour north up the interstate from you.
-Jr.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Welcome to the forum!