Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Greetings. 48 y.o. hobbyist mig welder, looking to learn tig and stick. Over the years there have been motorsports related items that l have had to pay to have tig welded and times when I've had to weld outside. Mig doesn't work too well in a breeze so l want to learn these processes. I have a 140 amp 120 volt mig machine l bought off a tool truck 28 years ago (l didnt know any better) and a 95 amp Thermal Arc inverter which l got to learn stick. I have a lift tig setup for the little inverter. I am planning to buy a proper ac/dc tig machine this year and eventually upgrade my mig. I have thought about a Power Mig 210/Square Wave 200 combo. Just yesterday l made my first ever tig welds on some scrap flat stock. I will post a picture and open myself to public ridicule, lol. I only have 120 volt 15 amp service in my garage at the moment so l am limited on output amperage. I will be upgrading the service soon. The bead on the lower right is my third ever tig bead.
Attachments
20160102_135244.jpg
20160102_135244.jpg (46.46 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I've tig and stick welded both off of the little thermal arc 95's. Just make sure you use small sticks like 3/32 or 1/16 rods. Same for tig welding. If you use bigger filler rod it's hard to get get good penetration. Those welds look pretty good for starting. Welcome and don't be afraid to max out that little machine.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Welcome Sedanman.

No ridicule here...those look like pretty decent welds to me for starters!

Kym
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200