Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
mck90
    Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:32 am

G'day all. I'm Mick, from Australia. Currently just finishing up a trial run at a new job, hoping to get a welding apprenticeship out of it. For those who may not be aware, the Australian system of apprenticeships basically takes on a completely unskilled person and trains them primarily in the workplace with some time in a classroom environment, generally one week per month, or a similar set up.

Pretty stoked about this, as I'm 26 which is quite a bit older than most people starting a 4 year apprenticeship. It's a career change from being a slaughermen and rural fencer.

Jobs building disc ploughs, pretty much all mig welding materials from 8 to 12mm commonly, although i've done a bit of welding on 34mm steel. Fun stuff.

Hoping to buy myself a tig welder and learn that as well, as I'm interested in building bicycle frames. Also, hoping to make a bit of cash on the side doing repairs and maybe building cattle yards, so will be buying a smallish tig welder to carry around and use the stick function.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi Mick from Australia, I'm also Mick from Australia. Im a welder, but thats been my only job. Ley us know if you need any help.

Mick
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Mick, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

For a site with such a low Irish population, we seem to have a lot of Micks on here... :roll:

Good luck with your apprenticeship. Your maturity should work to your advantage... At 26, you won't get the "old fart" treatment, but will get more respect than a "wet behind the ears" kid just out of public school.

Steve S
mck90

Thanks for the welcome Micks, and Steve.

Yeah, my age hasn't really been a factor outside of the interview process, where it might of helped. Although the job would be a lot harder if i was some stringy little teenager fresh from school. Who'd have guessed that the materials that go into making huge farm equipment would be so bloody heavy?
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

mck90 wrote:Thanks for the welcome Micks, and Steve.

Yeah, my age hasn't really been a factor outside of the interview process, where it might of helped. Although the job would be a lot harder if i was some stringy little teenager fresh from school. Who'd have guessed that the materials that go into making huge farm equipment would be so bloody heavy?
Gonna go out on a limb and say that you ain't spend a whole lot of time on the farm. I work on three farms and one with big equipment. I just ripped off and cracked a shank on a chisel plow and one little piece weighed about 125 lbs. And don't call all teenagers stringy. Heck I'm only 16.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
mck90

Farmwelding wrote: Gonna go out on a limb and say that you ain't spend a whole lot of time on the farm. I work on three farms and one with big equipment. I just ripped off and cracked a shank on a chisel plow and one little piece weighed about 125 lbs. And don't call all teenagers stringy. Heck I'm only 16.
I was being sarcastic. Guess I should of been a little more obvious. I've had opportunity to work on quite a few farms over the years.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Welcome Mick.

All the best with the apprenticeship. And if you're interested in bike frames, search this forum for some of Zank's work and prepare to be inspired.

Kym