Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Darrell F
    Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:29 am

Hello everyone,
I'm a career welder with 30+ years of experience in the oil and gas industry, doing both structural steel work and pressure welding, mostly with stick, but sometimes a little flux-core work. I've joined this forum because of recently taking an interest in TIG and MIG welding of aluminum and wanting to diversify my skills and knowledge in these processes for other work that I want to do. I also want to learn more about stainless. Looking forward to exploring the wealth of info that I'm sure is here.

Here is my welding truck.

Miller Syncrowave 200, Air Liquide M200 wire feed, Lincoln Vantage 400/Perkins diesel, Miller 30A spool gun
MotoEngineering
    Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi welcome to the forum,
I've pretty much the opposite set of skills to you 30 years TIG and MIG, I do a lot of Aluminium and Stainless steel and some Titanium, Magnesium and Cast Iron. I am mostly workshop based with guys bringing me Car, truck, yacht, boat, industrial equipment and bicycle parts but I do go on site to do Stainless Steel had rails and Aluminium boat hulls etc.
So bring on the questions and I'll spill the beans.
This forum is great and the quality of information is second to none.
Buy you self a nice 200amp AC/DC TIG welder with pulse and frequency setting.
We will explain all the set up and adjustments, look at as many of Jody's Videos as possible as he is a master.
Be as specific as possible when asking questions so we know what you are working on,Purpose, Material etc.
Best of luck in the future,
Regards Bert
Darrell F

Thanks for the reply, Bert. You sound like you'd be my go-to man for what I want to know. I have watched some of Jody's videos, too. Don't know how many hours of vids he has, but going to work through them over the next weeks and months.
Miller Syncrowave 200, Air Liquide M200 wire feed, Lincoln Vantage 400/Perkins diesel, Miller 30A spool gun
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Darrell. welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Darrell F

Thanks for the welcome, gentlemen!
MotoEngineering wrote:Hi welcome to the forum,
I've pretty much the opposite set of skills to you 30 years TIG and MIG, I do a lot of Aluminium and Stainless steel and some Titanium, Magnesium and Cast Iron. I am mostly workshop based with guys bringing me Car, truck, yacht, boat, industrial equipment and bicycle parts but I do go on site to do Stainless Steel had rails and Aluminium boat hulls etc.
So bring on the questions and I'll spill the beans.
This forum is great and the quality of information is second to none.
Buy you self a nice 200amp AC/DC TIG welder with pulse and frequency setting.
We will explain all the set up and adjustments, look at as many of Jody's Videos as possible as he is a master.
Be as specific as possible when asking questions so we know what you are working on,Purpose, Material etc.
Best of luck in the future,
Regards Bert
My first question for you, Bert is: What is the best filler metal for welding 6061 aluminum to 5250 (I think that's what it is)? The two fillers I have on hand are 4043 and 5356.
Slim & None
    Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:35 pm

That is one awesome looking rig.
You should be extremely proud of that.
I would sure hate to be your helper with a rig like that, I am sure you are very peticular as how it gets treated.
I say that as I was hard to work with years ago with a good looking rig.
Good job.
Slim & None

Def. of Insanity !
Doing The Same Thing
Over & Over
And Expecting
Different Results
L8R
Darrell F

Slim & None wrote:That is one awesome looking rig.
You should be extremely proud of that.
I would sure hate to be your helper with a rig like that, I am sure you are very peticular as how it gets treated.
I say that as I was hard to work with years ago with a good looking rig.
Good job.
Thanks! I do have a few things that I'm particular about but my rig is built to work and I've been in some pretty messy job situations. Once I get a steady helper, he (or she) just needs to know how and where things are put away and usually there's very few issues.
MotoEngineering
    Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:25 pm

HI Darrell,

Sorry for the late reply I haven't been on the forum in a while been so busy. To answer your question 5356.
The reason is 6061 Aluminium is a primarily a magnesium alloy about 1% and so is 5250 about 2% magnesium and 5356 is a 5% magnesium rod.
So the 5356 is closer to both alloys and would provide a stronger weld than 4043 which is a 5% silicone alloy.
Generally I use 4043 for repair of castings, as in castings they use Aluminium with silicon to make it flow better for cylinder head casting etc.
The only other thing to note is where a part is getting Anodised you would not use 4043 as it will stick out like a sore thumb with the difference in colour so 5356 will give a better colour match. Also 5356 Should be used in Marine applications on boat hulls or props etc.
Hope this helps and if you need a question answered in hurry feel free to contact me through my web site. MotoEngineering.com

Regards Bert