Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
RoatanBill
    Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:35 pm

I'm a retired Electrical Engineer / Professional Software Developer. My wife has a bakery here and I build whatever she wants because the island is so small there's really nothing available in the way of bakery related equipment. Getting anything out of the US takes a minimum of 3 weeks, so I weld.

I've done MIG on a tiny Lincoln unit with CO2 for about 15 years. Just got delivery on an EVERLAST 201 EXT TIG machine and their water cooler a few days ago. Also got a 125 cu ft Argon tank from Airgas in Medley, Florida along with another 125 of CO2 for my little MIG machine. I've designed a new welding cart in CAD that will house 4 machines and will be building it shortly. A 200 amp MIG and plasma cutter are penciled into the drawing.

I've never seen a TIG machine before I got one. The island is full of buzz boxes and oxy / acetylene. There are no TIG supplies on the island, so I have to order everything way ahead of time from the US and stock up on things I might run out of quickly.
Everything I know about TIG I got from Jody's videos. I've watched them each multiple times and soon I'll be experimenting on mild steel from the scrap bucket. Jody is the real Mr. TIG.

Hello Bill, welcome to the forum, I guess you live where others vacation. :)
Richard
Website
RoatanBill

If you fly out from the island you'll see our little sandwich shop in the departures lounge. It's the only food and drink in departures. My wife makes all the bread fresh every day and I'm Mr. Fixit for anything she needs.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Bill, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Sparkie
    Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Hi Bill, my wife and I were there last April on a cruise. Very nice area

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Steve

1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface
1990 Miller Dialarc 250
2003 Miller Maxstar STR
2015 Lincoln MP210
Victor & MECO torches
MudHog
    Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:59 pm

Great diving, I need to get back.
RoatanBill

If anyone wants to vacation on Roatan, let me know and I'll provide some local expertise for where to stay and where NOT to stay, where to eat and where NOT to eat, etc.