Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
slim88
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Hello all, I am a beginning welding student and I need help. I am having trouble Z weaving and getting ready to take my certification plate.
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Welcome! Are you talking about stick welding?
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
slim88

Yes I am talking about stick welding for now. I could really use some advice on machine settings and techniques. My settings are about 115 amps and the dig is 3/4 full. The first stringer goes in good until I get to the top and half the times I burn through and when I use a lower amperage all the weld metal falls down the joint. The second pass goes in nice and perfect. The third and fourth pass I try to go faster over the middle but my puddle disappears and when I go a little slower the whole thing droops and sags, should I stay on the edges longer or change settings. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.28 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Canmooseweld
    Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Pretty excited here.... selling my miller212 and just ordered an Everlast 253dpi! Crossing fingers made a good choice. Can’t wait to receive it in couple of weeks.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

How wide are you trying to weave? That looks like a lot.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
slim88

That's just one side of a tee joint, I was trying to fill each side so I put like 5 or 6 passes all weaving, except the stringer for the root.
Also, when I did a practice certification plate it took me five passes to fill, with the fifth being the cap, what can be the cause of that. My amps was about 110 and my dig was 3 quarters max, 1/8, 7018. Any advice would help, Thanks
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

As a general guideline don’t weave wider than about 3 times the diameter of your rod. I would also turn down your amps to about 95 for the cover, and bump the arc force down to about 1/3 or less.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
slim88

Okay I will, Thanks for the advice