Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

Hey folks, dropping in here as I'm on the verge of buying a TIG machine. I currently have a Millermatic 130 MIG that works well but want to add TIG to my skill set.
I have a small home machine shop and also do woodworking.
I've watched a ton of Jody's videos and been lurking here for a while but thought I better introduce myself.
Thanks for having me!
David
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

hello David and welcome from Pennsylvania. Be sure to ask before you buy and plan ahead...
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Welcome David, good choice on Jody's videos, IMO. ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

Thanks @BillE.Dee and @TraditionalToolworks.
Right now I'm leaning heavily toward the Primeweld 225.
I'm looking to do steel, stainless and aluminum, nothing structural.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:Thanks @BillE.Dee and @TraditionalToolworks.
Right now I'm leaning heavily toward the Primeweld 225.
I'm looking to do steel, stainless and aluminum, nothing structural.
I just bought one on April 9th, it's in transit and will arrive at my house on Tues.

You should get on the email list, they will notify you when they get stock. They sell out within a day normally. I was on the fence as I wasn't sure about the stick capability, but my main intent is for the tig.

I called and spoke with Mike the day I bought it, in the afternoon around 4:00pm. Mike told me if I didn't like it for any reason I could ship it back for a full refund and he would pay for the shipping. This was after he knew my concerns over the stick capability. So I decided to pull the trigger and order one. About 2 hours later they were sold out on stock.

That type of service and support means something to me. They provide a 3 years warranty with paid shipping. I currently have an Everlast DC Tig machine (i.e., the green weenie as I refer to it as). I will never buy another Everlast product again and the more I read about them the more horrible stories I continue to read about their poor service and support. Caveat Emptor.

Get on their email list, doesn't cost you anything and there's no commitment. Even so, call and speak to Mike, he'll probably tell you the same thing he told me, that if for any reason you're unsatisfied with it he will refund the purchase and pay for shipping back to their office. 8-)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

Already there!
I’m in Canada so I was working out shipping details as with Dustin this week.
I have a reminder setup for 0600 hrs on May 11.
I’m totally excited!
I also pulled the trigger on an Everlast machine but got cold feet when I started reading some reports of boards frying and lousy after sales service (your story chief among them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:I have a reminder setup for 0600 hrs on May 11.
On the previous order they arrived on the day they said, and they sent out a notice the night before, as well as on the day. I posted here in the product review thread on the Primeweld 225 (you may have read that), and I was gonna sit it out mainly because it didn't do 6010 and also seemed 6011...I do use 6011 occasionally. My Everlast does 6011. Good to know about Canada, I see people asking if Primeweld ships there, I didn't know to be honest.
DavidR8 wrote:I’m totally excited!
I also pulled the trigger on an Everlast machine but got cold feet when I started reading some reports of boards frying and lousy after sales service (your story chief among them).
Not just mine, check out VA-Sawyer in the Everlast thread going now here...and the list seems to get bigger and bigger, IMO. Anyway, Everlast does have a much larger offering than Primeweld does, and certain areas they do have a good niche, like in inexpensive 6010 capable machines, but I won't get another Everlast, not how I was treated. :roll:

BTW, tig is a real blast, but if you're new to tig be prepared for a steep learning curve...it just doesn't come natural for most people, including me. ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

TraditionalToolworks wrote: On the previous order they arrived on the day they said, and they sent out a notice the night before, as well as on the day. I posted here in the product review thread on the Primeweld 225 (you may have read that), and I was gonna sit it out mainly because it didn't do 6010 and also seemed 6011...I do use 6011 occasionally. My Everlast does 6011. Good to know about Canada, I see people asking if Primeweld ships there, I didn't know to be honest.
Thanks for the heads up on the day before notice. Dustin said the last order sold out in 8 hours. So I don't want to miss out.
My options were Everlast, Primeweld and AHP but they do not ship to Canada though Oleg told me they will be soon and that they're releasing a new model.

I also considered this model which is a rebadged Hugong Wave 200KD. At $1350 it's the same price for me as an Everlast 185DV.
https://www.kmstools.com/magnum-industr ... rch-169183
TraditionalToolworks wrote:Not just mine, check out VA-Sawyer in the Everlast thread going now here...and the list seems to get bigger and bigger, IMO. Anyway, Everlast does have a much larger offering than Primeweld does, and certain areas they do have a good niche, like in inexpensive 6010 capable machines, but I won't get another Everlast, not how I was treated. :roll:

BTW, tig is a real blast, but if you're new to tig be prepared for a steep learning curve...it just doesn't come natural for most people, including me. ;)
I've only ever used a MIG so I expect the learning curve to be pretty near vertical!
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the day before notice. Dustin said the last order sold out in 8 hours.
I think that's correct, I went back about 1-2 hours after I bought mine and they were sold out.
DavidR8 wrote:AHP but they do not ship to Canada though Oleg told me they will be soon and that they're releasing a new model.
Oleg would know as he has a pretty big stake in AHP. One of the reasons I wouldn't buy one. :P
DavidR8 wrote:I've only ever used a MIG so I expect the learning curve to be pretty near vertical!
Just take it one bead at a time...before you know it they will start getting a bit easier.

Also, if you don't do it for a while, it takes some practice to get back into it. I've found that to be the case with me. :oops:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

I find that to be true with MIG also.
And machine work if it’s an operation I don’t perform often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225