Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Bagus
    Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 am

Howdy all, how are we?

I'm Ben aka. Bagus, oi you! That bloke etc. hailing from ye' ol' melbourne, vic.
I'm a mechanic by trade and after building race cars and engines for serval years I'm now working for a hot rod inspired suspension and custom shop.

Been tinkering with welding for a whole now recently got my self a tig, which isn't fancy but I didn't have the money to but a dynasty :( maybe one day.

I really want to "fine tune" my skills, and this place looks like a encyclopaedia of information.
The company I work for do all out suspension brackets and mounts mostly in house. They are laser cut then sent to us then we weld them up. Problem is the guy who was welding for us left, and making them during work time is difficult due to being busy, so I'm hoping to hone my skills and be able to take some home over them weekend and weld them up and have them ready for the next day.

Looking into getting a smaller torch and experimenting with cup sizes etc.

Hope I can help out where I can.

Thanks, Ben.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey Ben,

Welcome tho the show. Im form Vic as well, Bendigo to be exact. One of our members, Andrew Williams, builds race car stuff in melb, and he is an absolute gun.

Mick
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Ben.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Bagus wrote:Howdy all, how are we?

I'm Ben aka. Bagus, oi you! That bloke etc. hailing from ye' ol' melbourne, vic.
I'm a mechanic by trade and after building race cars and engines for serval years I'm now working for a hot rod inspired suspension and custom shop.

Been tinkering with welding for a whole now recently got my self a tig, which isn't fancy but I didn't have the money to but a dynasty :( maybe one day.

I really want to "fine tune" my skills, and this place looks like a encyclopaedia of information.
The company I work for do all out suspension brackets and mounts mostly in house. They are laser cut then sent to us then we weld them up. Problem is the guy who was welding for us left, and making them during work time is difficult due to being busy, so I'm hoping to hone my skills and be able to take some home over them weekend and weld them up and have them ready for the next day.

Looking into getting a smaller torch and experimenting with cup sizes etc.

Hope I can help out where I can.

Thanks, Ben.
oi you- bagus, welcome from nyc! if you post some pics of your work then bob's your uncle mate.
FJ RB25
    Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Welcome Ben

I'm from Perth in Wait Awhile
Bagus

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

Fj rb25: I was in wa for Christmas :) drinking beer in the hot weather. Beautiful!

Jwmacawful: haha thanks! Yeah I will get some pictures.

Mike: thanks mate.

Weldin mike 27: thanks, will deffently check his work out.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome to the forum Ben.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Bagus,
Another Aussie! Welcome to the forum. In all seriousness is this forum/Jody that popular in Oz? Let me say I am in no way making light of you folks, I have a high respect for you and am very curious about how you guys do things over there.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:Bagus,
Another Aussie! Welcome to the forum. In all seriousness is this forum/Jody that popular in Oz? Let me say I am in no way making light of you folks, I have a high respect for you and am very curious about how you guys do things over there.
I suspect we're getting some local marketing from Mick, as well as word-of-mouth...

Aussie revolution? 8-)

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Ive posted a few photos on facebook, but if you watch welding on youtube, you'll never likely to be more than two clicks from Jody's videos.
Bagus

Thanks guys.

Superiorwelding: haha it's all good! I'm a yank at heart ;) funnily enough my welding teacher had put me onto Jody's videos. The discussion was on how you can't really learn from videos and most of them were shit. But Jody's were detailed and some good technequies.
So I checked them out as soon as I was home.

Honestly, I just want to learn as much I can.
It's cool to see not only Jody's but everyone's different techniques and methods.
Being able to see stuff like walking the cup which I wouldn't normally see, but still want to learn.

And judging by the size of this forum, people from all over the world are enjoying what he's doing.

Ben.
FJ RB25

Superiorwelding wrote:Bagus,
We are everywhere superior welding, I was put into this site by a fella I know, said it was a great site to learn how to Tig weld and had heaps of good tips and knowledge.

We do it the same as you guys up there, but because we are down under we do it all upside down lol

Hey Ben Xmas was great weather but we did have a couple of 40+ days

Great beer/ rum drinking weather
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Is there ever bad beer drinking weather?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

We do it the same as you guys up there, but because we are down under we do it all upside down lol-FJ RB25

LOL that would make a great video. Here you go Jody, make a welding video welding upside down. As most of us know we do get into some awkward positions from time to time.

So I assume the FJ is the Toyota and the RB25 the Nissan motor? If so what a unique combo.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I've actually welded upside-down, my calves on the deck with another welder holding my feet while from the knees up (down?) I was hanging. Never occurred to me the same weld in OZ would be done on the bench... :lol:

Steve S
FJ RB25

Superiorwelding wrote:We do it the same as you guys up there, but because we are down under we do it all upside down lol-FJ RB25

LOL that would make a great video. Here you go Jody, make a welding video welding upside down. As most of us know we do get into some awkward positions from time to time.

So I assume the FJ is the Toyota and the RB25 the Nissan motor? If so what a unique combo.
The FJ is a Gm Holden 1955 FJ Holden
I guess it's a bit like your 1948 Chev that you guys have over there.
Came out with a 132 grey motor which is very similar to the old stove bolts 6 cylinder engine that the Chev had but smaller.
The engine is the Nissan RB 25det turbo engine.

Over here most folks building these cars stick with the GM ecotec V6 engine but I'm not a lover of those engines and much prefer the boost.

Here are a couple of pics
The incomplete car is mine and the complete one is a friend of a friends
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392341492.398653.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392341492.398653.jpg (127.17 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392341859.994686.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392341859.994686.jpg (153.35 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
Bagus

Hahahaha!! Exactly right Steve!

Looking good fj! Will be awesome when it's done. You see chop shop in nsw are doing a fc with a rb26.

Ben.

Well now I will have to try welding upside down, if Steve can do it, so can I :D (don't know if I want to post the pictures though)

At least I got the motor right. Looks like a great project. Very unique using the RB25DET motor. Over here you might not get good responses from a Goodguys show because of that, but I say it is very unique and hey, whatever works!
Bagus

Superiorwelding, pictures are a must!! Lol
FJ RB25

Superiorwelding wrote:Well now I will have to try welding upside down, if Steve can do it, so can I :D (don't know if I want to post the pictures though)

At least I got the motor right. Looks like a great project. Very unique using the RB25DET motor. Over here you might not get good responses from a Goodguys show because of that, but I say it is very unique and hey, whatever works!
I'm hearing you there, over here there are some purists that believe the car should be kept original etc, majority of people say wow that would be cool.
I would have liked to put a small block Chev or even an LS engine but sadly that's not possible here.
Something to do with the weight of the car x a factor = Max litre for n/a and turbo
So 4L n/a or 2.7L turbo it is

Silly I know but you have to play by the rules, Australia is fairly strict on modified cars and engineering standards.
FJ RB25

Bagus wrote:Hahahaha!! Exactly right Steve!

Looking good fj! Will be awesome when it's done. You see chop shop in nsw are doing a fc with a rb26.

Ben.
Ah cool Ben

Thanks for the heads up, I think there are a couple of FB's ( looks like a 57 Chev for all our American friends) that have the old rb25 getting around.

May give the guys at that chop shop a ring on Monday for a chat, is that what it's called
You see chop shop?

Have majority of parts so I can start the cutting etc, just need to get a vintage A/C unit and I'm off

Cheers
Paul
Bagus

Paul,

There called "the chop shop"
Here's there site: http://www.thechopshop.com.au

They do award winning cars. They took out summernats grand champion this year.
Some awesome fabrication goes on in that place.

Ben.
FJ RB25

That FB is in the latest Steet Machine mag
Looks nice

Bagus wrote:Superiorwelding, pictures are a must!! Lol
Well MAYBE I will give it a try and MAYBE I will post pictures. :D
DieselD389
    Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:37 am

Oh no superior no maybes about it you said you could do it now Ya gotta show us lmao
Lincoln Precision Tig 225, Hobart Champion 16 W/G, Hobart Handler 140, Hobart Stickmate 235, Snap-On MuscleMig 140, Harris Torches, and Victor Torches.