Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Rods & Relics
    Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 am

Howdy from South Australia.
I Run a Rod & Resto Shop based in the South East of South Australia.
We do all our own welding & fabrication work from Chassis to sheet metal & all in between
(I am a self taught coach builder, just as I am in most other fields :shock: )
I have always loved welding, no matter in what form (I taught myself to stick & oxy weld when I was a kid & I just can't get enough time on the TIG these days :( )
I have done plenty of welding courses (certs 1,2 & 3 engineering/fabrication) & I have even taught a bit in our local school & of course at work, but no "offical" welding ticket :shock:
Though I have had welders & boiler makers working for me (I must admit........ without being a smart ass, I have had to show the "ticketed welders" how to do it quite often :roll: I am a bit fussy when it comes to making brackets etc for our customers cars, but I don't class my self as an expert by any means :oops: )
I have been subscribed to the WT&T videos for what seems like ages & have got plenty out of them THANKS!! ;)
I will NEVER stop learning, even though I have staff to do some of the work these days, I am still a VERY hands on type of boss.
I enjoy teaching anything I know (especially to the young ones) the many skills we use daily in our work, though one beef I do have is trying to get the youngsters of today to stick to learning, as it all just seems "too hard" for many of them :roll: :roll:
I usually have apprentices in both the welding trades & body work when I can, I believe they are our future & in Australia especially we really lack the young people entering any of the trades. I also take on school based work experienced kids to hopefully give them both some insight to what we do, but also the many trades that we cover.
I currently have a 13 y.o. (who has been with me for 2 years) who started on the broom. he now uses all the tools. he can stick weld, but is about to get the chance to use a MIG & one day the TIG. He will make a great tradie for someone, maybe even us!!

Anyway,
I joined this forum to hopefully pick up new skills for both myself, my business & anyone who I come in contact with.
I also have a few "side line" hobbies.
I am trying to learn about CNC. I have already built my plasma table base, but yet to build the gantry etc.......... I have much to learn but it will be come a valuable tool for us in the future!
Oh! I am also an Industrial Gas Agent, so we sell welding gases too! (this gives us the stock for when ever we need it.... No more going out to get a bottle as we run a MIG, TIG & 2 Oxy sets. I would also like to think it gives us a little knowledge about the gases too........ if that is possible :lol:
In work we do minimal machining work just for ourselves, as we also do lots of other things like Blasting electrical & mechanical. If we can't find it.............. we make it ;) ;)
Cheers,
Rod.
www.rodsandrelics.com.au
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome!!
Good to have you...

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Rods & Relics,
Welcome to the forum mate ;)
-Jonathan
nightscale
    Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:21 pm

I'm new too were abouts in sa are ya

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.