Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Hey all my name is Ben and have been welding for a living for the past 10 years or so. Have done robotic MIG, Sub Arc, Mig, and some tig. Currently am working in a shipyard in WI building Navy gun boats, big boats at over 375' long.

We do all FCAW-G running mostly 045 and some 052 E70S-6 and some E80. 100% co2 gas for all MIG. Have learned alot but always ready to learn more tips, tricks and techniques. Been playing with aluminum lately and have limited time with TIG but am getting better each time.

For machine we almost always run a Miller 400 power source with suitcase feeders or the Lincoln equivilants. Have always loved working with metal and sticking it together in all postitions, just hate some of the confined spaces we have to get into while wearing all the required PPE (half mask respirators, hardhats, full leathers, etc....)

Had a small Hobart Handler 140 at home but had to sell it when hard times struck but and am looking for a new, bigger machine as of late.

Thanks for having me and hope to learn a bunch of great things here! :D
Last edited by BensJamming on Fri May 09, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome, my friend.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum BensJamming.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Ben,
Welcome
I always get the honor of the small and tight spaces. Why do they always pick on the little guy? :lol: I know you will have a lot to share with us here.
-Jonathan
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:Ben,
Welcome
I always get the honor of the small and tight spaces. Why do they always pick on the little guy? :lol: I know you will have a lot to share with us here.
-Jonathan

Haha Jonathan, at 240lbs and 6'1" Im not exactly a little guys lol..... I hope to be able to help anyone that I can as I have been in their shoes at one time. I have never had any formal welding training. I started by going over to my neighbors house when I was about 12 and asked if I could play with his old stick welder. Then moved on to playing with a mig setup with some solid core wire all learning from one of my favorite sayings, which is "hurry up and fail". Basically I tried something and if it didnt work I knew then what not to do and tried something else. Lets say I am more then certified in the use of a grinder. At my last job of building pressure vessels most welds were x-rayed and UT'ed in which I maintiained a pass rate of around 92%.

Only bummer is where I work now I am not allowed to take any pictures whatsoever of my welds being we are under the department of defense contracts and is all top secret. Even suppose to report anyone who is overly inquisitive about the boats capabilities. Once I can get a welder of my own again at home then I will be able do more picture wise, but am still willing to help all that I can and am sure I will be asking for help as well more often then not.

Been looking at a new helmet for work which I found someone local selling a Lincoln 3350. Anyone here use that particular helmet and have any opinions on it? He is asking $150 for it and I offered $100. Just waiting for a reponse from him on the offer. Also anyone that has to use the respirators and hardhats that have any suggestions on whats the best helmet under $300ish would be greatly appreciated if the 3350 doesnt fit the bill. The idea of it having fore and aft adjustments seems appealing to me as well as the huge viewing area, and only weighing about 20 oz.

Thanks for welcomes too, Ben
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Ben.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200