Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Attenurb
    Tue May 13, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi, from the Big Island of Hawai'i - I finally got logged on here after several aborted tries, and much help from Joey Collier. I am a life-long artist - I guess I can say that since I am 70, day after this coming Christmas. I learned to more or less TIG in 1991 on an old Airco 300Amp for my sculpture and carried it over into my knife making of 22 years as well.

One of my long time friends, Bob Taylor grew up in the welding supply industry, and taught me the basics of my newly purchased used Airco, and another friend, a pipe fitter, the late TC Collins, taught me some more on TIG and stick welding.

I am sold on the TIG process as the most versatile method for my needs as I can switch from bronze to steel to S/steel just by picking up a different rod - I don't care that it is slower, it is more controllable. My friend Bob Taylor says "Don't bring a TIG to a MIG fight.", as he mostly uses a MIG, but I am not production orientated.

My fascination with metallurgy in general and applied to my knife forging, the joy of being to be able to join two pieces of metal and even build up areas w/ weld to be later shaped and sculpted is what I love about the TIG process. Having seen a few of your amazing videos on welding tips, I want to become a better welder, even though I have been bumbling along for all these years.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Attenurb
Welcome. We will do out best to help you down your TIG learning road. Post some pictures of your work for us to see.
-Jonathan
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Attenurb.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome from the second best state. :D

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

AKweldshop wrote:Welcome from the second best state. :D

~John
Yes, I guess we are the LOWER 48 :lol: :lol:
-Jonathan
Attenurb
    Tue May 13, 2014 1:31 pm

Thank you all and HI.

Here's some of my work:

A mixed media sculpture Image -- 'rusted' mild steel ball, 5/8" blued mild steel bar, forged bird "body", blued w/ copper 'petals and forged steel tongue.

Another mixed media sculpture: Image -- Named after the elements: Ti-titanium, Ni - nickel, Cr-chrome, etc., etc. body is color anodized Ti, as are the "thorns", top "V" is nickel 'damascus' [200 layers nickel/1095 pattern welded steel], copper 'snake below blued, shallow dome of mild steel, bronze 'insulators' holding legs of S/steel triangulated, bifurcated, rutilated quartz crystal at tip.

A recent knife after Scagel.Image -- 7" forged O-1 steel blade, nickel silver - copper - nickel silver guard, stag handle, 9 original Scagel leather washers via Frank Gambol bordered by ebony spacers, bronze spacers, new leather, nickel silver butt cap.

A akashira mount Tanto,Image -- 26,000 layers 1084/L-6 steels, CA Buckeye burl sheath [saya] and handle, carved water buffalo horn sheath tip, throat, butt cap. Plain buffalo horn cord loop, collar [fuchi] behind tsuba [guard].

A BG-42 bladed Hunter,Image -- Tooled leather sheath eaglewing, S/steel bolster and butt cap, black coral spacer, walrus ivory handle w leather and red liner spacers.

a Netsuk'e carving,Image -- Mountain Mehogany wood, 1 5/8" long.

David

WOW! :shock: :shock:
-Jonathan
HeavyOil
    Wed May 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Holy smokes that's some awesome craftsmanship!
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Very nice work.
Or is it work?? :D
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Some amazing looking work.