Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
MrShaw
    Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Hey everyone!

Currently first semester in tech school.

Have run all my 1f and 2f joints successfully. Done some successful fabrication projects that have come in.

This week I start on my vertical T joint.

Quick question, is a T joint and Lap joint run the same way in the 3f position?
Is it essentially the same joint?

About to take a stab at it tomorrow morning, bright and early :mrgreen:

Anyway, thanks for having me!
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, MrShaw,

While Tee and Lap are essentially the same joint, there's an additional concern in the lap... whether or not you're allowed to break the corner on the lapped piece. An example form my past; the WPS called for a 3/16 weld (.045 dual-shield) stitched 3 on 6, for 1/4" angle to 1/4" plate, welding a floor to a frame (in flat postion, in this case). If my weld was too large, and broke the edge of the angle's leg, the sharp edges created all had to be ground and rounded over. It didn't take too many hours of grinding on a day's worth of welds for me to master my travel speed.

In my case here, it was permitted to break the corner, with repair allowed.

The lap is not always welded with quite the same technique as a tee, depending on the process you're using.

I suggest you sart a topic with this question, in the subfurum that matches the process you're studying, and you'll get some good answers.

Steve S