Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Kleatus
    Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:38 am

Hello all,
I'm a newly school trained welder in the Chattanooga, Tn, area. I've been watching the videos for about a year+ now since I started welding school. I've learned a few things that helped me get through school, and I am ever grateful for weldingtipsandtricks.com! I am nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I have my very first weld test tomorrow morning. I was curious if the nervousness of weld tests ever goes away, or is it just something I need to get use to? I think it's just the thought of my work being x-rayed for the first time. Anyways, I've rambled on enough about my anxiety. I'm sure I will be very active on this forum. I'm thinking of making a hobby of welding once I get it down pretty good, so I will be on here to see others tips.

Thanks,
Tom
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Tom,
Welcome to the forum! First I all, good luck on your test! Speaking for myself, I still get a little nervous before a test. I don't think the feeling actually ever goes away we just learn how to ignore it or calm ourselves. As you progress you will begin to become more confident and the tests will be easier. I have found it best to not think about a test to much and just go in and knock it out. Seems like the more you dwell on it and the longer you take on the test, the more mistakes you make.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Tom,

I agree with Jonathan on all points. There's something about a "test" that tightens one's sphincter, even when you've been doing them for years. The subconsious awareness that your weld will see more scrutiny than the welds done after, on the job, will affect your mindset while testing.

I treat a test like a practice weld, and, like Jonathan said, go knock it out. Don't waste time focusing on small details. If you're doing it right in practice, then get up on it, do it that way and be done!

Go in with confidence.

Also, anyone who tells you they've never busted a test is a beginner or a liar!

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Tom.
As all others have told you just do it.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Welcome, I have never taken a test before but I get nervous when welding on someone else's stuff. I know that if I weld on my stuff that if it breaks or goes bad that I can deal with it later but welding for someone else I may not be there to fix it. I just take that nervousness and direct it into trying my best. I find that I do my best welds on someone else's projects or on someone else's stuff because I am nervous that they won't be pleased. Just relax and be confident.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt