Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
EpicInvasion714
    Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:55 am

First off I am majoring in welding in the South Cali area and I am doing a six page research paper. I would like to ask some questions if anyone could answer that would be awesome.
1. What type of welding work do you do and where you work?
2. What helped you decide to become a welder ?
3. Do you think having a passion will help you in this field or can anyone become a welder ?
4. Is it a skill that you have mastered or do you still continue to learn something new ?
I have a couple more I don't think I want to post them any help would be highly appreciated and I would be so thankful if anyone could respond.
Last edited by EpicInvasion714 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

I think to be successful you have to have a passion for welding.
From what I've seen/heard, you never stop learning new things as you go.
But currently I'm just in school also.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

1. What type of welding work do you and where you work?

Mig, tig, stick - work part-time for myself.

It just happened really - started doing it as a mechanic in 1987 and it continuously escalated.

3. Do you think having a passion will help you in this field or can anyone become a welder ?

Without a passion for it, you'll quit after a certain number of burns...
Plus it can be very frustrating in the beginning.
(and sometimes after you've already learned how to do it too)
Without passion, a person can never really be at the top of any profession in my opinion.

4. Is it a skill that you have mastered or do you still continue to learn something new ?

It will never truly be mastered, there is always something new to learn.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
EpicInvasion714
    Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:55 am

79jasper wrote:I think to be successful you have to have a passion for welding.
From what I've seen/heard, you never stop learning new things as you go.
But currently I'm just in school also.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
Thank you for your response
MinnesotaDave wrote:1. What type of welding work do you and where you work?

Mig, tig, stick - work part-time for myself.

It just happened really - started doing it as a mechanic in 1987 and it continuously escalated.

Without a passion for it, you'll quit after a certain number of burns...
Plus it can be very frustrating in the beginning.
(and sometimes after you've already learned how to do it too)
Without passion, a person can never really be at the top of any profession in my opinion.

It will never truly be mastered, there is always something new to learn.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

EpicInvasion714 wrote:First off I am majoring in welding in the South Cali area and I am doing a six page research paper. I would like to ask some questions if anyone could answer that would be awesome.
1. What type of welding work do you do and where you work?
I have a couple more I don't think I want to post them any help would be highly appreciated and I would be so thankful if anyone could respond.
Welcome!
In order:

1) I work in the cryogenic field, primarily with liquid hydrogen transport and storage, as well as liquid oxygen, argon, nitrogen, CO2, etc. I perform ASME code repairs, as well as non-coded ancillary work. I also work with high-vacuum systems, and do helium leak-detection testing to prove weld integrity.

2) As a teenager, I needed something repaired I could not afford to have repaired, did some reading, and taught myself how to do it. That was the start, but I did not see myself as a welder. Over many years, when a job would peter out, I'd take a welding-related gig to make money while looking for another job. Even while studying industrial electronics in a BS program, I welded for money. I slowly came to realize that welding should be my focus.

3) Almost anyone can learn to weld. The basic skills can be taught. To succeed, one must enjoy it. To draw a parallel, anyone can learn to flip a burger, but how many make a career of it?

4) No one masters anything. We are permanent students. Anyone who claims to be a master has simply quit learning.

Steve S