Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
hwingo
    Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:03 am

Good Morning All,

I am new to this Forum. I live in Alaska and retired from the ARMY. My discipline was/is Maxillofacial Surgery. I received my doctorate from the University of Kentucky in the early 70's. My undergraduate schools were Murray State University in Murray KY, University of Kentucky Community College in Madisonville, KY, and Austin Peay University in Clarksville, TN. For several years I taught at MSU and APSU.

Though my adult life has been spent rebuilding faces, all these years have also been spent building custom rifles ..... as time allowed. My home machine shop consist of two lathes, two conventional milling machines, one CNC Mill, and various cutting and grinding tools. I also have a passion for Large Format Photography. Though I own Digital cameras I still cling to conventional film cameras and spend time in my wet lab processing images.

Years and years ago I tried my hand at welding but had little success until recently. Last year I purchased the ThermalArc 252i and I love it. With this machine I can MIG, TIG, Stick, and even Spool-Gun Aluminum. This being said, I was unable to TIG Aluminum as the 252i is strictly DC. Realizing the need to properly TIG Aluminum, I recently purchased the Miller 200DX Dynasty (which is both AC and DC). I love this machine as well.

I have never been formally trained in welding but with the above mentioned machines I have been able to complete all tasks attempted. Things have really changed from the 70's and welding is now achievable within my scope of knowledge.

Hope I fit in with you guys.

Harold
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

hwingo
welcome to he forum and thank you for serving!
i appears you have skills and have found a place
where help and knowledge is bountiful.
its as simple as posting a detailed question to
receive answers.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
hwingo

Thanks Craig.

For certain I will have a plethora of questions. I appreciate your reply.

Harold :)
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

Thanks for your service and welcome.

Please do share some of your projects! Love to see what you have been up to.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
hwingo

Good Morning Guys!

Thanks for your posts. Very happy to see them. It's Zero-Dark-Thirty in Alaska (0455hrs) and it will be another four hours before the sun breaks over the mountains thus we are in our dark phase. I plan to do some practice welds before sun-up and then complete a custom hunting rifle in time for it to be presented as a Christmas Gift.

Merry Christmas to ALL,

Harold
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Harold, thanks for serving and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll fit in fine and will find a wealth of knowledge on any weld related questions that may arise.
Cheers.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid