Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
cowboydan
    Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:13 pm

Howdy!
I'm Cowboy Dan.
I'm currently a full time welding student making a drastic career change. I was an IT project mgr/programmer turned retail store owner. After the failure of my business and lack of employer interest in my tech resume I decided to embark on a career in welding. I invested part of the proceeds of the sale of my house in California after moving back to Oklahoma. I'm in the midst of a 22 week professional welding course and though I'm finding it challenging, I am totally in love with it.

I am finding this forum and Jody's videos to be really, really helpful. I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Hey Cowboy Dan! I am new here too but I was wondering if you ever welded before and why you picked welding for a new career. No reason other than curiosity. Do you plan on pipelining or settling into a production job? When my normal job slows for the winter, doing welding and repairs almost pays the bills plus its fun but it can be a hard road uphill sometimes. I wish you the best of luck and a Happy New Year!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:34 am

Welcome cowboydan. Good luck in your new career.
-Eldon
We are not lawyers nor physicians, but welders do it in all positions!

Miller Dynasty 280DX
Lincoln 210 MP
Miller 625 X-Treme
Hobart Handler 150
Victor Oxygen-acetylene torch
Miller/Lincoln Big 40-SA200 hybrid
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Howdy Dan. I'm over in skiatook. Grew up mostly in oologah, graduated from Collinsville, and have spent a fair amount of time in owasso. Matter of fact ate dinner at andolinis.
I wander if we've crossed paths before?
Also, which welding program are you going to?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Dan.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
cowboydan

79jasper wrote:Howdy Dan. I'm over in skiatook. Grew up mostly in oologah, graduated from Collinsville, and have spent a fair amount of time in owasso. Matter of fact ate dinner at andolinis.
I wander if we've crossed paths before?
Also, which welding program are you going to?

I'm doing the 22 week professional welder course at 4M.
Don't know if we've crossed paths before. I've only been in Owasso for about 6 months. Originally from Ponca City but lived in California for many years in between.
cowboydan

exnailpounder wrote:Hey Cowboy Dan! I am new here too but I was wondering if you ever welded before and why you picked welding for a new career. No reason other than curiosity. Do you plan on pipelining or settling into a production job? When my normal job slows for the winter, doing welding and repairs almost pays the bills plus its fun but it can be a hard road uphill sometimes. I wish you the best of luck and a Happy New Year!
I have never really welded before except for using one of those cheap wand oxy/acetelyne kits and once when I was helping a friend as a teenager when he let me try out his old cracker box. Oh, and of course lots of soldering if that counts.
It's hard to explain why I chose this career other than to say I believe God led me to it. five years ago I would never have pictured myself here. I'm am planning on field welding until I get too old for it...
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Oh, okay. Got some in laws and friends from ponca. But haven't really been up that way much.