Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
superclarkey
    Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:23 am

Hi there, just thought I would say hi as I've signed up to get some tips and tricks to help me in my daily bodges :D

I'm from UK, Birmingham.

I own and run a small company here building and maintaining motorsport/sports cars on a daily basis, I want to get better at all things welding and learn new techniques.

The machines I have are the Kemppi MLS 2300 ACX Ac/Dc tig welder and Kemppi Kempact RA 253Adaptive Mig welder.

Tig set.

Mig set. - First thing you'll notice its in Meters/min, not IPM :D Metric system :)

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:55 pm

Nice rigs. You seem to have a really interesting job. Sounds fun. - James.
Hollywood1
    Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:05 am

Welcome to the forum!. John.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Welcome
You certainly seem to have some nice gear.

Been many times in the "black country" when the foundries still were trying to give that name justice ;)
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

Welcome here too mate.
superclarkey

Anders, I know what you mean, Im only 4 miles from the epicentre of black country.. dudley lol

I stop off in Sweden every year on the way to a car event call Gatebil Rudskogen (Norway)

I only recently just bought the kemppi welders so im still learning them but they are fantastic, very happy with my choice. There is little to no technical support for them so it is a bit guess work at times..
superclarkey

taz wrote:Welcome here too mate.
hey Taz, you can give me advice on here also :-)
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

superclarkey wrote:Anders, I know what you mean, Im only 4 miles from the epicentre of black country.. dudley lol
Been in Dudley many times when BSF was still in business.
Cant remember the pub's name where I used to stay, Ward Arms perhaps. 13 pubs in two days I think is my record :mrgreen:

If you like Norway, cars and metalshaping you should join the metalmeet in Tönsberg sometime. Was there last time now in february. There are ususally some other gents from the UK coming too for a weekend full of friends, welding and metalbashing. Google metalmeet norway
superclarkey

That sounds fun, I think they are meant to be putting the ferry back on from UK to Norway that they stopped years ago so may be an option when traveling out for gatebil on ice :-)

I would love to get into proper metal shaping, been looking at getting an English wheel at some point and start playing :-)
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Welcome to the asylum :D
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
superclarkey

Cheers, been reading so many threads, very interesting.

The converting from imperial to metric is a headache lol
teddy_b
    Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:10 am

Hi, I'm Teddy from The USA, I'm new here too :)
CMSRacing
    Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:47 pm

superclarkey wrote:Hi there, just thought I would say hi as I've signed up to get some tips and tricks to help me in my daily bodges :D

I'm from UK, Birmingham.

I own and run a small company here building and maintaining motorsport/sports cars on a daily basis, I want to get better at all things welding and learn new techniques.

The machines I have are the Kemppi MLS 2300 ACX Ac/Dc tig welder and Kemppi Kempact RA 253Adaptive Mig welder.

Tig set.

Mig set. - First thing you'll notice its in Meters/min, not IPM :D Metric system :)

That mig is a slick looking machine. I know many a welder here in the states that couldn't fathom a mig without a metal box around it and nobs to twist on the front. I shake my head as they seem to control our market. Thanks for posting as I love at least seeing pictures of the machines we can never get our hands on.
taz

The Kemppi Kempact is a cool design. I was actually contemplating buying the 323A but decided that I did not need that much power from my mig so went for something smaller.
superclarkey

Yeah well I was going to go for the bigger unit also, but I thought back to how often I actually used more then 250amps, and realised never!

The only annoying thing with the Kemppi Kempact RA is that if you get the 251A (Single phase machine) then it only has single rollers, where the 253A (3 phase machine) has the twin roller set up, which if your ever thinking of trying to feed alloy wire down it twin drive would be needed.

Fantastic machine just kinda hard to get what I want out of it right now, it seems to be too smooth for the look of weld I'm going for haha.
taz

Yeah, I don't know why they would put only 2 rollers on the single phase but 4 rollers on the 3 phase.
However I don't think it would have a problem running aluminum wire with the 2 roller setup as long as you changed the liner and used a stiff wire such as 5356.
superclarkey

Yeah totally agree, I just thought I have 3phase in the unit so sod it may as well get the 4 roller set up, even though its more expensive for the rollers.

I just don't get the adaptive bit of the machine, seems to be way too hot for everything I do, but I may be doing something wrong, I can from a Migatronic 335amp mig with separate wire feed and that was easier to set up :D