Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
taylortee
    Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:21 am

Hello, Im a decently experienced but inexperienced welder in my mid 20s just dropping by. Went to my school districts vocational school for welding after falling in love with my metals class in high school and having a life long interest in construction, farming and other manly activities working with my hands.

I excelled in my class and was one of 2 students to qualify for the first round of the school to work program in my senior year, went school until 1230, went to work afterwards until 4 running high amp/volt dual shield and building cranes. Thick heavy pieces, 100 foot cranes, just exhausting work. About 9 months into that job, my grandpa got sick we'll say, quit and remained unemployed for 6 years, took care of him a lot of the time.

Couldnt get a welding job afterwards, so I worked fast food for a year and a half, put in an app to my old job, was late to the first interview like an idiot and didnt get hired. Ended up hooking back up with a friend from my class who happened to be my older sisters neighbor and he slacked off so bad in the class and talked lots of shit to me but ended up being a success somehow and it kicked me into gear and weve become best friends.

8 months later they called me back, went in on time, and got my job back. Worked there for 6 months, was able to buy a new truck since I was making actual money. I studied up really hard on procedures and worked hard to improve my work. I even got a compliment from my supervisor who was formerly a welder(been there 18 years) like myself in my previous tenure there telling me I was one of the best welders hes seen there so that was really nice to hear cause I really put in lots of effort into improvement and quality and hadnt welded in 7 years prior.

Left there at the end of May after 6 months and ended up getting a job with my friend previously mentioned doing production MIG/TIG on stainless/ally/mild steel making aftermarket performance parts and accessories for motorcycles and atvs. Pretty proud of myself for landing this gig because my work during school meant I missed out on 90% of tig education and practice back then. My friend let me weld some stainless and ally for 3 hours and I got the job with that being the only TIG I had done since the middle of my senior year. Its higher paced production and the total opposite of what I had been doing previously but its fun and expanding my horizons and giving me new tests.

I like my story, went from being a fat loser on his computer to having my own place and a new truck in under a year. Sorry for it being long though. I would like to thank Jody though, its because of his channel Ive learned so much.For the last 2 years Ive watched every video on his channel, many of them repeatedly. Went into testing for this new job almost purely on knowledge I got from them, makes it much easier and less stressful in tackling new situations. Also reeeeeally hoping I win that welder ;)

Anyway hi, nice to meet you all
CentralOhioSteve
    Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:58 am

Welcome, I'm new myself.

It sure sounds like you have lived a lot for only being in your mid 20's. Kudos for taking care of your grandfather, we all should be so lucky!!!
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I'm in high school now. We have a similar program but nothing with the jobs like you. We just have fab shops and Scot Forge. I wish we had a big crane or structural steel shop building heavy stuff. I'd love it. Anytime I can weld really hot it's fun. You are really lucky to have been able to do that kind of work.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Taylorlee, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200