Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

How many of you carry your own set of torch tips for employer owned cutting torches?

I’m getting frustrated with the 5 or so torches we have in the shop and each one having a different size cutting tip or the top being clogged or damaged somehow.

We mostly run smith torches with a one Harris and one victor in propane. But I’d be looking at a 0,2,4 in sizes for the smith oxy acetylene rigs.

I know of a welder that has his own consumables for TIG welding...
Richard
Website
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Carried my own Smith handle & tips along with a 5 foot 3/16 whip and unions for years.

NOBODY touches my Original Smith unless they are handing it to me. Unauthorized touching causes hammers to fly.
Downwindtracker2
    Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:36 pm

I always did. I needed all the help I could get. It was pretty simple around here, almost everyone used LA equipment . I remember one guy had his tips in a cotton batting lined drawer. His skill at cutting made that seem the correct thing to do. :D Too many use torches as hammers. :roll:
Man of foolish pursuits
Millermatic 250x MIG
Magnum (Hugong) Wave 200KD ac/dc TIG
Liquid Air O/A torch
Homemade
    Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 am

Downwindtracker2 wrote: :D Too many use torches as hammers. :roll:
I see that all the time. Once the steel is cut and the slag is still holding, then the hot copper is bashed into the steel until it falls off or the determination of more cutting is achieved. It’s like working with cavemen sometimes.
Downwindtracker2
    Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:36 pm

We have a saying, "Some are rough, and some are really rough." Because they aren't getting a good cut they push the tip closer . Then they have a hope in h*** of ever getting a clean cut with that tip.
Man of foolish pursuits
Millermatic 250x MIG
Magnum (Hugong) Wave 200KD ac/dc TIG
Liquid Air O/A torch