Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
anndel
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:37 am

I don't weld everyday, maybe several times a year using a Hobart 140 MIG using mostly flux core. I'll be cutting 1-1/4" angle iron or square tubing and want a decent chop saw. I'm looking at a Evolution Rage 2 locally at Home Depot ($187 + tax) or Trajan Q700 7-1/4" chop saw ($167 + 60 FedEx shipping to Hawaii). I plan to cut some 45 degree angle miters on iron or square tubing planning to build a planter and a welding cart. Can't decide which to get and I know the Rage 2 is cheaply built. You guys have any experience with either to share? Thanks
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

You will be able to cut miters adequately enough for welding purposes with a portable band saw. I would go that route first if it were me. Either the harbor freight when it is on sale for $99 or a used Milwaukee portaband off of Craigslist and the like. Should be able to get a good one for around $100.
Multimatic 255
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Even a brand new porta ban is generally less than $300. If you get one that’s considered a deep cut they usually cut about 5 inches of solid stock. If your cutting pipe then it’s more like 18 inch if you can walk it around.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
anndel
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:37 am

Thanks very much guys, I look into it. It appears that the portable band saw is more versatile for my needs and I can use it for woodworking and cutting PVC as well.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Oh yeah. I clamp the Dewalt version in a vise using the hanging hook and then clamp the trigger to use it like a band saw for small parts.
I have more questions than answers

Josh