Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Hello all:

I'm starting a new post. A few of you recommended the HyperTherm PowerMax 65 plasma cutter. I'm considering buying on that will include the CNC unit built in along with the CNC torch. Are any of you using this currently on a CNC table? If so which one? I'd like to hear your reviews (pros/cons) and would you consider a different unit knowing it will eventually be used on a CNC table in the future?
All thoughts/comments/suggestions are welcomed and very much appreciated...........

RPat, I can't speak to a CNC table, but I am interested in your use of one. Is this for your own business, I would assume so. Maybe you could give us an idea of what you'll be doing, fabricating
Richard
Website
RPat

Howdy, I'm at the beginning stages of setting up a small fab shop for a device I've filed for a patent on. We are close to introducing it to the market and I'm setting the stage in case this project really takes off. I've found out (the hard way) that buying cheap doesn't pay, especially Chinese CHEAP! It's lesson #1,000,495 that I've learned. I learn the hard way. ;)
I've pretty much decided to go with the HyperTherm 65. I called HyperTherm today and they told me that this torch is used very often on CNC tables, all CNC tables, but this is a company Rep. so call me cautious, I wanted to see if anyone on here was currently using the H/T 65 on a CNC table. That's where all of these questions are coming from.
This setup would mostly be working on 3/16" flat plate but that could change rapidly depending on the evolution of the project.
Any input would be appreciated.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

There was a member here, who’s name I forget, is/was a very honest broker regarding Plasma tables and setups. As I recall, he too recommended the HT straight up as being compatible with either manual or CNC usage. I’ve only ever used it manually so I can’t offer first person insight but I do tend to believe those who speak highly of it for CNC usage.

Don’t confuse name brand with Eastwood. Yeah, you got scorched by them, but that shouldn’t deter you from feeling confident in the correspondence with a first rate company going forward. :) And best of luck on the new venture! Post up some pictures as you get farther along
RPat

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. Because of the nature of my business, I'm naturally cautious and verify by many methods/paths. ;) :D And yet, even after having said the above, I still get suckered every now and then, like when I bought the Eastwood JUNK!! :evil:

cj737 wrote:There was a member here, who’s name I forget, is/was a very honest broker regarding Plasma tables and setups. As I recall, he too recommended the HT straight up as being compatible with either manual or CNC usage. I’ve only ever used it manually so I can’t offer first person insight but I do tend to believe those who speak highly of it for CNC usage.
This guy? Georges plasma cutter shop
Richard
Website
RPat

THANK YOU! I called George and spoke to him for almost an hour. He's a wealth of information. His info on CNC plasma tables was eye opening, to say the least. He no longer sells the CNC tables but still his knowledge of them was impressive.
Thank you again for giving me his contact info.

Good deal, keep us posted on your buying decision for the CNC table.
Richard
Website
RPat

Will do. The CNC plasma table will likely come a little later.
As our new project comes online, I'll post pics here for everyone to see what we're doing.
Thanks again for your help.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Sorry to hear you lost out buying Eastwood but it's to be expected - some of their hand tools etc are OK but never buy anything welding related from them - they source the lowest cheapest spec Chinese crap & sell for double or more than it's price elsewhere based on a myth of a name & a warranty that does'nt exist - plus they only really sell mail order to car guys who often have little idea what they're buying or how to use it so most gets returned - I also wonder if they buy seconds as anyone I know that bought electrical stuff from them had pixie smoke issues !

The guy you want to speak to on here is Jim Colt who hopefully will pitch in when time allows - if not try to PM him - he does work for hypertherm but has vast experience of plasma cutting & can give you sound impartial advice - the powermax 65 is a great choice if probably bigger than you currently need but if budget allows then it never hurts to have reserve capacity - the table is another issue - they fall into maybe 3 groups - entry level baby 4 * 4 types used for home shops or very limited trade when time is not an issue & doing very small runs - bigger versions that handle 8 * 4 sheet & moderate use but not really production - then the full on run 24hours a day factory stuff - I think picking the table will be the hardest decision - anyone I know that started with a hobby type ( like plasma cam / torch mate etc ) outgrew them or had problems in under a year - I don't know the nature of the parts you need to produce or quantity - but if this is large batches of not many different parts consider putting the cutting out to a proper cutting place - the accuracy & cut finish will be better than anything you can achieve yourself & the cost will surprise you - I have a local shop that can often supply me cut parts for around the same as I can buy in the metal - they buy thousands of tons per year & get way better prices & the machines need to run all the time to pay so they price keenly to ensure work - they have regular & HD plasma & laser - if you can't get hold of Jim there ae a few guys on You Tube will often answer direct questions on stuff they run - Peter Zilla would be one - even Lanse has some worthwhile input having run a couple of tables & an occasional contact with Jim.

noddybrian wrote: The guy you want to speak to on here is Jim Colt who hopefully will pitch in when time allows - if not try to PM him - he does work for hypertherm but has vast experience of plasma cutting & can give you sound impartial advice
I agree, Jim would be another source worth talking to, he's not on here much so maybe you could track him down thru Hypertherm.
Richard
Website
RPat

Thanks guys. I will contact Jim. I did place an order for the HyperTherm PowerMax 65 yesterday with the CNC built in and the CNC torch as well. Waiting for delivery tracking details.
Now I have $700 (plus/minus) at Eastwood that I will need to determine how to use it. I considered the 3 in 1 press brake but reviews were terrible. I'll figure out things over the next 10 years that I will likely need but it won't be anything big tool/welding related I can assure you. Plus Eastwood's customer service was as cocky as I've encountered. Another lesson learned, the hard way.
I'll let you know what Jim has to say about the CNC tables. Anxiously awaiting my Hypertherm PowerMAX 65. Will test it immediately. I also bought extra parts/fine nozzles and a magnetic straight edge to help with keeping cuts straight.
I will also check out shops in the area to see who can handle CNC related cutting for semi small parts. I know of no one currently willing to do outside work (outside of making their own parts). May need to go outside of the area.
Thanks again for the help/tips/suggestions.............

Don't know where your located, but in my area I sometimes have parts laser cut, and waterjet would be another possibility.

How thick and what material are your parts?
Richard
Website
RPat

Howdy: 3/16" flat plate, sorry don't remember the steel flat plate # but it was whatever was the normal steel that most everyone uses when you call to order a 4' x 16' sheet of steel plate. I've worked mostly in Aluminum and know those #'s fairly well but just moving into steel as of late. BTW: We're located near Virginia.